Did you mean: 

Zyxel router connection

FIXED
hugonebula
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Zyxel router connection

Hi,

Due to a few issues with the Plusnet supplied router, I'd like to use the Zyxel VMG8924-B10A that was supplied by John Lewis broadband (which is part of the BT/Plusnet universe, so I can't see why I shouldn't).

However, I've tried connecting on several occasions but without success. I've gone through the settings (below), but I can't see what I'm doing wrong.

What am I missing?

Login 1.pngLogin 2.pngLogin 3.pngLogin 4.png

9 REPLIES 9
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 383

Re: Zyxel router connection

@hugonebula I'm using a Zyxel 3925-B10C (the replacement for the JL 8924) on PlusNet and it works fine, so I don't see why your 8924 shouldn't.

Looking at your config, I'd suggest changing to IPV4 only as PN don't support IPV6 yet. Also set the IDLE Timeout to 0 (disable). Other than that I can't see much different to my config.

You do have the correct username (followed by @plusdsl.net ) and password I assume ? 

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

hugonebula
Grafter

I changed to IPv4 only. The Idle timeout can't be changed (unless, I presume, I changed the Auto Connect or Authentication Method settings above it?). No change.

I presume it's the VDSL settings I need to alter; do I need to do anything to anything else?

Zyxel router.png

I read something, somewhere, that someone asked a question whether there were special characters in a password. Is this an issue with the Zyxel router? I note that my John Lewis password was alphanumeric only, but my Plusnet password contains exclamation marks. Is this an issue?

Baldrick1
Fixes: 414

Fix

@hugonebula 

It causes problems with some routers. If you log into your Plusnet account you can change it. Ignore any comments about using a special character.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

hugonebula
Grafter

I'll give it a couple of days; all this chopping and changing of routers will have me set back to dial-up speeds.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Fibre to My Router

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 383

I presume it's the VDSL settings I need to alter; do I need to do anything to anything else?

@hugonebula yes, it's the VDSL settings.

I wouldn't like to say whether special characters are an issue with the Zyxel , my password certainly doesn't have them. However, the JL supplied routers use the same auto configuration platform as the PlusNet ones so I would assume any random password generation follows the same procedure and so special characters would be allowed. It's got to be worth changing the password just in case though..

One other thing, you haven't got anything connected to the Ethernet WAN port have you ? The WAN port will take priority over the DSL port so with a Ethernet type link configured it will try and use that connection if something is connected to the port. It can sort out itself whether to use the ADSL or VDSL type connection by what type of sync it gets on the DSL port

Are you actually getting a DSL sync ? If so it should show the VDSL WAN Rx and TX speeds on the main Connection Status screen and also on the System Monitor->xDSL statistics page

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

hugonebula
Grafter

Well, I changed my password for one that didn't contain special characters and, lo and behold, I'm in.

Someone may want to wander down the corridor at Plusnet Towers to the JLP guys sending out the Zyxel routers to make sure to let them know. Alternatively, the JLP guys may wish to send an intranet memo.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Despite this apparent evidence to the contrary, I'm not aware of any issues using special characters in the PPP password of the VMG8924. In fact, an exclamation mark is explicitly quoted as an allowed character on the John Lewis password change form.

Happy to put this to test when I next get the opportunity. I'd be very surprised to find it's an issue after all these years of us shipping these devices! 

Stranger things have happened mind you!

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Baldrick1
Fixes: 414

@bobpullen 

The issue seems to be that this works with a JL account but for some reason not with a Plusnet account. Whether this is a factor?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'