Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

YouView Streaming Channels knock out the LAN

FIXED
sunkiddance
Dabbler

YouView Streaming Channels knock out the LAN

This is my first post to these forums although I have been a PlusNet (Free-Online) customer for many, many years!

So Tuesday evening I set up my new PlusNet Hub One which arrived in the afternoon - I had decided to go back onto contract to get a new router to replace the Sagecom 2704n (and save £2.99 a month into the bargain!!) that I have had for the last 3 years or so. I hoped this would resolve a problem (detailed below) which had occurred last week.

Unfortunately, it hasn't, and I now realise the problem has probably been there for a long time but I only noticed it because I was watching the Snooker on Eurosport on my YouView box at the same time as the rest of the family were on their PCs.

What happens is that when the YouView box is turned on and is set to the streamed channels (such as Eurosport), it knocks out the internet access of the PCs connected by network cable. From a PC I am not even able to ping the router or access the web management interface.

Interestingly, wi-fi connected devices continue to work and can access the internet as well as the web interface of the router.

Once the YouView box is powered off, the LAN-connected PCs gradually return to normal.

So, is there a setting I should change or do I have to get a different router such as the Billion AC1600 Dual Band Wireless VDSL/ADSL2+ Gigabit Modem Router (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Billion-AC1600-Wireless-Gigabit-Router/dp/B07483S6BS/ref=dp_ob_title_ce).

Searching for anyone else having this problem I only found cases where in fact the wi-fi was affected and not the LAN which is exactly opposite to what I am experiencing.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks and regards

Terence

7 REPLIES 7
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Re: YouView Streaming Channels knock out the LAN

Welcome to the forums @sunkiddance

Have you tried a different Ethernet cable from the Youview box to the router?

I had an issue with a PC that just refused sometimes to connect to the router on Ethernet. Even bought a new Ethernet Adaptor which didn't fix the issue. Then I replaced the cable, problem went away.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
sunkiddance
Dabbler

Hi SpendLessTime,

Thanks for your reply.

The YouView box is not connected directly to the router - due to the positioning of the equipment in the house, there are 2 5-port gigabit switches between the router and the YouView box.

Should I be connecting the YouView box directly to the router?

Thanks

Terence

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Fix

Should I be connecting the YouView box directly to the router?

Unless the switches are Managed ones and can be configured for IGMP snooping , then YES. https://www.tp-link.com/us/faq-1125.html

In your configuration, I suspect the switches are broadcasting the multicast IPTV traffic all over your LAN

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@sunkiddance

Yes as @MisterW said that would be an idea.

As all these actions are just tests, you don't have to be worried about the look of cables and devices in the wrong place. Once you have found the issue then the how to make it a permanent fix becomes important.

I've move TV's , PC's , routers etc between rooms and ran extension cables round houses before now to solve someone's issues.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
sunkiddance
Dabbler

@MisterW

Thank you for your reply - neither of the 5-port switches are managed [more's the pity 😞 ]

I have a long Ethernet cable which I will drape across the room to connect the box directly to the router and see if that solves the problem (I expect it probably will)

@SpendLessTime

I will try with my longer cable and see if that fixes the problem - if it does then I will work out how to make it more permanent.

Thanks

Terence

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

I will try with my longer cable and see if that fixes the problem - if it does then I will work out how to make it more permanent.

@sunkiddance I believe a pair of HomePlugs (powerline adaptors) will work (assuming you've got a good electrical connection) as they are basically a Level 2 point to point connection ( and BT supply them with Youview boxesSmiley )

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

sunkiddance
Dabbler

Hi @MisterW,

Thanks for the suggestion re: Homeplugs but most of my equipment is running on multi-plug extenders and as I understand it, homeplugs do not like being plugged into extensions.:-(

What I can report is that plugging the YouView box directly into the router has solved my problem - no interferance on any of the PCs while I was watching Eurosport.

Thanks for your help - also to @SpendLessTime for your suggestions

Regards

Terence