cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would a standalone modem give faster line speeds?

FIXED
stuwhittaker
Hooked

Would a standalone modem give faster line speeds?

Hi community !

I have a TP-Link Deco M9 Plus setup where all 3x of the units are Ethernet back hauled and all running great.

Currently I’m using an ‘old’ BT HH5 with wireless disabled, DHCP disabled and a static address for the master Deco unit. All works brilliant that way.

I do have one of the standalone BT/Openreach modems .. which I could use instead of the BT HH5 as you can’t natively put it into modem only mode.

I was just curious if there would be any benefit in swapping it over to that? I would imagine line speeds etc would be negligible. Which would likely mean keeping my setup as-is because no real ‘gains’. My only thoughts are I’m effectively hopping gateways between the BT HH5 and the Deco network.

At least the wifi connection dropouts seem to have gone away (so far) as I had a number of issues with the BT HH5 as the router and same behaviour with the PN Hub One.

Would welcome thoughts/discussion on the above !
2 REPLIES 2
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Re: Would a standalone modem give faster line speeds?

Fix

@stuwhittaker 

Read here why your set up is bad news. You have scenario 2.

https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT

Use your modem and set it up properly by inputting your Plusnet credentials in to the M9 and using the full capability of this device..

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

stuwhittaker
Hooked

Re: Would a standalone modem give faster line speeds?

Thanks, @Baldrick1, I didn't think about the double NAT'ing issue (or potential issue at least) .. I've now chopped out the BT HHB5 and now directly setup the Deco's using PPPoE straight to/from the BT/Openreach modem Smiley