Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would a new router help with WiFi?

GlitterChick
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Would a new router help with WiFi?

Hello,

I’ve got a Plusnet Technicolor TG582n, software release 10.2.5.2.EO.

With the sunny weather we have now, I’d like to be able to use WiFi in the garden, but the signal barely reaches into our conservatory, let alone the garden. I’ve checked for conflicts with the neighbours and have selected the “best” channel, and inside the house the connection is fine, it’s the range that is the real issue.

Would upgrading the firmware or buying a different router be likely to improve the range?

13 REPLIES 13
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Re: Would a new router help with WiFi?

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

The 582n isn't renowned for its Wi-Fi! I've used a number of routers over the years, and it's been the worst of the lot.

Best of the ones I've had are the Billion 7800N and 8800NL, both s/h and cheap on a well known auction site.

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@GlitterChick wrote:

Would upgrading the firmware ..... be likely to improve the range?

No.

You can get a new BT Smarthub 6 for around £30 on Ebay. It has excellent wireless performance which is in a different league to your old Technicolor one.

You will find the simple setting instructions for Plusnet on this forum board.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Yes I've had that router and the performance isn't best.

Is much better with the PlusNet Hub One.

I think you need to recontract for PlusNet to supply you a new router, or get one from elsewhere such as eBay. You can use BT Homehubs on PlusNet or a PlusNet Hub One (same hardware just a different appearance with the logo and firmware).

eBay is what I would do personally - plenty on there.

Baldrick1

Just to expand on the last post, the Plusnet Hub One is essentially a BT Home Hub 5a, considered long obsolete by BT. The Wifi on a Smarthub 6 is much better. If you are on standard ADSL broadband and recontract all Plusnet will offer you is a Hub Zero. The wireless performance of these is dire and you would be no better off.

Moderator and Customer

GlitterChick
Dabbler

Thank you everyone for taking the time to reply.

I didn’t think to look up reviews for the Technicolor on Amazon... that’s a bit of an eye opener!

I’m on FTTC, and currently in contract (we re-contracted last year), though I’m not sure when that expires. I’ll have to check.

The new BT hub sounds great though... will see if I can get one cheap. 😁
kevdwyer
Grafter

Just to add my experience to the thread. I have had some issues with WiFi being dropped, internet timing out on occasion and similar problems. 

Our household has a mixture of iPhones, Android phones, an iPad, Google Home and Mini, plus a couple of Amazon Alexa devices. I used an App " WiFi Analyzer " to scan for WiFi channels and found a dozen or more.

Our router is located in a built in wardrobe in the box room, The wardrobe is part of the structure of the building and is about 1 metre wide by 600 mm deep and of brick construction. I have the main BT line coming in there and have my printer, router, etc sitting on a shelf in there. I've run Cat 6  cable down do a couple of locations at either end of the living room / extension where we have the TV one end and my computer the other end. As you would expect the cable connection is rock solid, it is just the stuff in the lounge / extension which struggle with Wifi.

The Analyser app showed me that our neighbours have their Virgin router next to the party wall in the Living room and their signal is very much stronger than ours. I moved the WiFi channel on our router to away from the channel that my neighbour was using which improved things for a while. When things started to get flakey again I did a rescan and the Virgin router had channel hopped on to the same channel that I had switched to. ( I rule out malice as we get on really well with the neighbours and I don't think that they are the sort who would know about or dabble in the settings on their router )

I did some digging on these forums and eventually got myself a BT Business Hub 6 from ebay. Set it up following the guidelines I found in the Plusnet help forums and the connection has been rock solid since. I left the "Smart Scan" setting enabled in the BT routers setup page so if the Virgin router keeps channel hopping then the BT router should spot that and take avoiding action so to speak.

As to the numbers, at the one location where we tend to spend most time, the old router was averaging -71dBm over the course of an evening. The BT Business hub 6 is averaging -57dBm.

I paid £50 for the BT Business Hub, brand new in an unopened box. Money well spent as I'm no longer hearing " What's wrong with the Internet " 

BillyCool
Rising Star

@GlitterChick - you can pick up a brand new BT HH6 for about £30 on-line.

Well worth the money and a massive improvement on the PN routers.

GlitterChick
Dabbler

I’m seeing different details listed when I search... so I need a “type A” or a different type? Some say “SA 5.0” and others “SA 7.0” in the pictures sellers include... I’m getting confused now.
Baldrick1

Maybe this topic will help you. https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Smart-Hub-6-Variants-and-Performance/td-p/1504366

You are looking for a Smarthub 6 for FTTC, it can be either the residential or business version (which has more control options). The key is to get one with four yellow LAN sockets with no red WAN sticker.

Moderator and Customer

GlitterChick
Dabbler

I’ve now got a Smart Hub and it seems to be working well. Thank you all for your help. 😁

Will I need to hang on to the Plusnet Technicolor router and the BT modem in case we switch ISPs and need to send them back..?
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Glad to hear it is sorted.

I assume your old equipment is your property, as I believe PlusNet don’t lease equipment. If you cancel you have to pay off your contract (if you have one) but your old equipment is yours and you’re free to do with it what you want to.

I would keep it as a backup in case your new router dies, but up to you if you want to sell it on or dispose of it.
RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @GlitterChick

Thanks for coming back to us - glad to hear that this is now sorted.

As @Alex has advised, the router is provided as part of your contract with ourselves and there is no requirement to return it. Keep it as a spare/backup.

Have a great weekend.

Dave