cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless speed issue

dhd101212
Dabbler

Wireless speed issue

I currently have an open ticket which Plusnet are trying to help me with, though I thought I might also canvass some opinion from forum members as well.

I recently upgraded to the hub one router (bought brand new and sealed from Ebay) at first the speed was great and much better than the old technicolour router I got when I joined in 2012.  However things started to slow dramatically from a steady 35+ meg.

I have run the BT Wholesale tests a number of times and on ethernet connection my speed is great all the time, so I believe this is a wireless issue.  

My wireless speed gradually drops from 35+ down to anywhere between 2 meg and 15 meg over the course of a few days.  If I perform a system reset on the hub one everything reverts back to normal and the cycle starts again, speed drops gradually over 2 to 3 days.  As soon as the reset is done the speed goes up again.

Performing a system reset on the hub one every 2 to 3 days is not the end of the world but it is an inconvenience I could do without.  Is this more liable to be the router at fault?  Plusnet have checked everything from their end and the line checks come back fine, which seems to suggest to me that it could be a router issue?

Would I be better served going to a new router, if so what is best?

Any thoughts or help with what else I can do will be greatly appreciated as I am not the most technically minded person with these things.

Thanks in advance 

1 REPLY 1
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

Re: Wireless speed issue

You haven't mentioned what wireless devices you are using.

The Hub One is a dual band AC router and by default, it broadcasts the same wireless (SSID) name on both 2.4 and 5 GHz bands.   Here are some things you could try:

Ideally, use ethernet connection and log into the Hub one using a web browser pointing to 192.168.1.254.

If memory serves me right, go to Advanced Settings -> Wireless ->  5 GHz settings page.

Change the setting (2nd option?) so it no longer syncs the wifi name to 2.4 GHz wifi SSID (name), and alter the SSID of the 5 GHz wireless.  eg. append '-5GHz' to the end of the name.

Connect your wireless devices to the appropriate wireless SSID, and observe what happens over the next few days/weeks.  (Don't worry if some or all of your devices may not be able to see the 5 GHz wifi)

The Hub One also has automatic channel selection enabled by default.  I would suggest switching to manual channel selection.

On 2.4 GHz band, use only channels 1, 6 or 11.

On 5 GHz band, use channels 36, 40, 44 or 48.

On the 5 GHz settings page, I think the Hub One is set to use maximum wireless AC speed by default, I suggest you change it to the lowest 217mbps wireless N speed setting.

If you own an android smartphone, you can install Wifi Analyzer to determine what channels are being used by your neighbours, so you can avoid the channels occupied by strongest wifi signals belonging to your neighbours.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.farproc.wifi.analyzer&hl=en_GB

Next time you observe any wireless slow downs, log into the router and try changing channel number to see if it makes a difference.

If wireless issues persist, then  I agree that you may have to consider buying a 3rd party router to resolve the issue.  Note the Hub One has a built in VDSL (fibre) modem.   Third party routers with built in VDSL modems are few, and tend to be 'hit or miss' with regards to working well with VDSL lines.  The popular TPlink TD-9980 is one of the least expensive models available.

The alternative is to buy a 2nd hand Openreach modem and you then have a wider choice of wireless routers available.

Another option is to keep the Hub One and use it just as a modem-router with its wifi turned off. Then connect another wireless router to it configured as a 'wireless access point' to provide the wireless functionality.

When buying a new router, purchase it from a retailer with excellent return/refund policy in case you are not happy with the router.

Unrelated. I presume you have put in your personal Plusnet username and password into the Hub One. Otherwise, by default, it may retrieve the username and password belonging to the first owner of the Hub One.

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-