cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless repeatedly drops

JohnBoyLincs

Wireless repeatedly drops

I'm having a reoccurring problem with my plusnet hub and wireless.

I've been with plusnet for a while, and brought the router with me when I moved house about 18 months ago. No coverage problems anywhere in the house. About a year ago, a couple of people in the family noticed that reception in the kitchen was a bit pants *only* on iphones, but other than that all was good. I split the two frequencies at this point, and the 5Ghz has a different SSID.

Just after Christmas, the kids started moaning that wifi was dropping out a lot. Then I started to work from home a couple of days a week, and my work laptop would do the same; annoyingly this would lock me out of my work VPN for a period of time.

Basically, whatever device you are on, the wifi drops, then it tries to reconnect. It happens all over the house, even right next to the router, and happens on both frequency SSID's. I rang support, and they dispatched a new router.

Plugged this in, and it appeared to solve the issue for a week or so, then back to the same problem. I've used a wireless scanner to look at the least populated channels, and manually put the plusnet hub on that. Same problem.

Basically, its becoming unusable. Resetting the hub appears to help for an hour or so, but that's obvioulsy not a long term solution.

What do you guys suggest I try next?

1. Product name: Plusnet Hub 2. Serial number: +081441+NQ83514648 3. Firmware version: Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 Last updated 16/02/19 4. Board version: Plusnet Hub One

Devices on the wireless network are;

1x Amazon Tab, 2x Amazon Fire Stick, 1x Amazon Echo, 1 x Win 10 HP laptop, 1 x Win 7 HP laptop, 1 x Ubuntu HP laptop, 3 x iPhones, 1 Xbox One, 1 HP Printer, 1 x Huawei phone

12 REPLIES 12
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Re: Wireless repeatedly drops

Sorry to hear you're having issues.

You've already gone through most of the common things we advise to try.

I've asked a colleague to look into this further and we'll update you as soon as we know more

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@JohnBoyLincs, sorry to hear you're having problems Sad

I've extracted some logging from your device and we'll check to see if we can spot anything obvious.

I'd like to try downgrading your router to an older firmware variant so we can establish whether or no the problem is software related. The only problem is, it will wipe any non-default settings you have like the split SSID, and you'll need to reconfigure things.

Fancy giving it a whirl?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

JohnBoyLincs

Yes, I'm up for that. I've taken a backup of the config in advanced settings; I take it I can use that to restore my settings when you're done? No drama if not, carry on anyway.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@JohnBoyLincs, thanks. Your router's restarting for a downgrade now. Let me know how you get on over the weekend.

I suspect the config restoration will work.

Assuming the problem goes away, I would like to upgrade you back to the affected version to grab some more diagnostics if that's OK?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

I take it I can use that to restore my settings when you're done?

I can confirm it works when going from version 4.7.5.1.83.8.259 to 4.7.5.1.83.8.263, so it should work going back to 259.

The config file is locked to each individual router, so you can't transfer from one H1 to another H1.

But reading this, I'm not hopeful my 2 day old replacement PNH1 is going to fix mine either...? Mine has the 263 downloaded, but not currently installed.

Having said that, I've not used the 5GHz for many many months. It's only recently that I've started again (but only on one device as a test).

fwiw. The 259 firmware introduced wifi issues for some Apple products, the 263 was supposed to fix this. I've only got 2 iPads here so I wouldn't have seen such a vast amount of my devices with the issues like you've reported. Both of ours are using 2.4GHz only, so this might be worth considering...?

JohnBoyLincs

Thanks for your help so far guys.

So it looks to have improved things for some devices (less moaning from one of the kids) but the other daughters Amazon tab, my partners iphone and my work laptop keep dropping connections. It goes in fits and starts - I can be working away happily, then the wireless connection will drop, and then keep dropping. A perfect example would be this morning, between 9am and 9.45am to LAN IP 192.168.1.73 (Windows 7 laptop). I got about half an hour uninterrupted use, then had to pack it in because I couldn't keep a steady wifi connection so my VPN kept dropping. Strangely, I then got my Ubuntu laptop out (exactly the same model laptop, just running Ubuntu) and appear to be typing this reply on it without issue (so far!). I'm within 10 foot of the router.

What's my next step?

DS
Seasoned Champion

Regarding that W7 laptop, the following might help, then again it might not, but this helped me out. If you don't click that link we had to connect one of our W10 laptops via ethernet, check for updates and then the wifi started working fine.

But, the new router I mentioned above then had the update and the wifi issues returned for us. It does point to something on/in the firmware.

An option is to try a BTH6, we've done just that. There are how to's on these forums for what you need to do to connect one and you can pick one up (off ebay) for anything around £10-20. If you do decide to do this, it's only a suggestion, then make sure it's a FTTC one and not FTTP.

I can't help you with the tab or phone Sad

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @JohnBoyLincs 

Checking for any WIN updates as DS says is a good place to go to next. 

@bobpullen - tagged so he can see the update as he wanted to know in his above reply. 

Kind Regards, 

MoR

JohnBoyLincs

I'm afraid I spoke to soon - apparently we are getting drop-outs still on all devices @bobpullen .

If you want to check the logs, the period between 17:00 and 17:30 tonight would be a good example.

DS
Seasoned Champion

Whilst you're waiting @JohnBoyLincs, do you have an old BT Home Hub by any chance?

(HH2, 3, 4, or 5)

If not, any neighbours got a spare one?

I could probably guide you through a way to use the wifi off that instead.

Other routers would do it too, but I'm only 'up' on BT Hubs Sad

JohnBoyLincs

My employer has provided me with a BT Business smart hub 6, so I've replaced the Plusnet hub and will see if that solves things.
DS
Seasoned Champion

I guess time will tell...

You could, if you want, split the wifi on the H6 too. But thus far, with mine split, can't really fault it.