Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless connections dropping

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Re: Wireless connections dropping

Thanks. I know it doesn't help resolve your issue, but I wanted to be sure the problem hadn't been introduced by changes from our side.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

ejnallstars1
Dabbler

Hi there,

After the last message, I decided to give my issue a few months in hopes that it somehow fixes itself. Sadly, this isn't the case.

Splitting the connection into the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz channels hasn't solved anything, and the issue still persists. Whenever a device (mostly a PS4, but on occasion other devices) gets switched on, other devices lose their internet connection, and no suggestions so far have fixed it.

I've came up with a few questions myself, that I'd like to try and rule out:

First of all, is there a device limit on the router that I have?

Secondly, could my router be faulty?

And lastly, would changing internet provider be a solution? Given that my contract will be expiring soon, could newer hardware from a different ISP solve the issues I'm having?

Thanks.

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hi @ejnallstars1, thanks for getting back to us, I'm really sorry to hear this is still ongoing.

First of all, is there a device limit on the router that I have?

- Unless you have a few hundred devices connected to your router, this likely isn't the cause.

Secondly, could my router be faulty?

- Unlikely, but hard to know for definite unless you could borrow/ try another router?

And lastly, would changing internet provider be a solution? Given that my contract will be expiring soon, could newer hardware from a different ISP solve the issues I'm having?

Thanks.

- Again I couldn't give you a definite answer on this, as without knowing what the actual cause is, the issue could still present itself with another ISP.

I'm sorry to sound a bit vague, I just don't want to give you incorrect information.

Just to get a better idea of the issue and what's been tried already, could you advise the following:

- Have you noticed the issue occurring specifically with devices connected to the 2.4, or 5GHz? Or does it occur on both frequencies? (Just to note, the 5GHz has a shorter range, therefore only ideal for stationary devices).

- As well as separating the wireless frequencies, have you changed the routers wireless channel? I've sent you a guide here so if you haven't already, might be worth giving it a go.

- Have you been able to narrow down specific devices that cause this (I know from what you say, the PS4 is the main culprit but have you noticed it still happen even if the PS4 is off)?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
ejnallstars1
Dabbler

Hi there,
Thanks for your reply.

In regards to your points;
1) The problem persists over both frequencies. Doesn't appear to be limited to one of them.
2) I've changed the channels multiple times over the course of the issue, and the channels seem to have no impact whatsoever.
3) In addition to the PS4, an Xbox One X appears to do the same thing, but not as frequently. Obviously, phones and laptops may be doing the same thing, but I haven't noticed those devices doing it in particular.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Thanks for confirming the above.

Unfortunately, as the router is out of its warranty I'm afraid we can't just send a new router out although at this point I'm not 100% convinced that the router is at fault.

When you experience the drop does it state that you've been disconnected from the router or that you can't get online?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
ejnallstars1
Dabbler

Hi there,

When I say a device disconnects, the device is disconnecting from the router. As far as I'm aware, the router has a stable internet connection. It appears to be the connection from the devices to the router that is dropping.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

There have been wi-fi driver updates since you originally posted, so I've just pushed the latest firmware build to your router to see if it helps. It will have rebooted to apply the update so apologies if you were in the middle of anything.

If you continue to experience problems then I might be able to take a closer look at your device logs if I find the time, and try and work out what's happening.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

ejnallstars1
Dabbler

Hi there,

I just noticed my router restart, so I'm assuming I've received the update. Thanks a lot for your help, and I'll be back in touch if I notice the problem persists.
ejnallstars1
Dabbler

Hi there,

Sadly, the problem persists. For about a week after the firmware update, the problem looked like it had been solved. However, at approximately 18:35 tonight, a few devices got disconnected from my router.

Once again, the internet connection to my router appears to be stable. It still seems to be the connection between the router and the devices that is causing issues.

On a side note, I have tried to post this message already. However, when I clicked post, I had an error message appear. It was something about a bad DNS probe? I don't know if that helps at all, and that's the first time I've noticed it. Apologies if that doesn't help.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Moderators Note

Post split from another message and merged and whole thread moved to My Router

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
ejnallstars1
Dabbler

Hey there,

I've taken a look at that chart, and that doesn't really explain anything. As I've mentioned throughout this thread, the problem doesn't appear to be the internet connection to the router. The issue is the connection between the router and the devices.

Today alone, we have had at least three disconnections. Once again, the internet connection to the router is stable. It is the connection between the devices (TVs, mobile phones, games consoles) and the router that is dropping.
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Hi @ejnallstars1, unless @bobpullen is able to shed any more light on this based off of router logs, it's possible the problems you're experiencing are down to wireless interference or similar. If this is the case, I'm afraid the problem may be largely out of our control.

Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
ejnallstars1
Dabbler

Hi there,

I've been looking into the problem myself, and I don't think it can be wireless interference. The issue isn't random, as would be expected from interference. We can trigger the issue reliably.

For example, whenever a PS4 is switched on, we lose connection. Whenever someone loads up FIFA 19 (for whatever reason), we lose connection. We've also tested that a PS3 being switched on triggers it. We can cause it to happen reliably now.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@ejnallstars1, can you provide some approximate dates/timestamps as to when these devices were switched on and the problem occurred? This requires some follow-up and I'd like to see if it correlates with anything in the router logs. Thanks.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

ejnallstars1
Dabbler

Hi there,

Sadly, I only have timestamps for yesterday (24/01), but I'll continue to take notes if you require any additional information.

24/01 : Approx 13.00 - FIFA 19 started (PS4) disconnects TVs.
24/01 : Approx 15.35 - PS4 turned on, disconnects TVs + Smartphones
24/01 : Approx 17.05 - FIFA 19 (PS4) disconnects TVs + Smartphones
24/01 : Approx 20.45 - PS3 switched off disconnects PS4, TVs and Smartphone.

I hope that helps. I'll continue to track disconnections incase you need more.

Edit : I've just had another disconnect.
25/01 : 11.03 - Xbox One X disconnects TV when switched on.