Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless connections dropping

ejnallstars1
Dabbler

Wireless connections dropping

Hi

For the last few weeks I've been having problems with different peripherals dropping connection. The connection only drops for a very short period of time, almost as if it resets.

My actual broadband connection does not drop just random peripherals.

e.g. My son switches on his PS4 and the Xbox in the other room drops. Mobiles also seems to drop in and out. It seems to be mostly when items are powered up but not always.

Any ideas what the problem could be?

Thank you.

33 REPLIES 33
BrightonRock
Pro
Fixes: 7

Re: Wireless connections dropping

Two thoughts:

Try https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/getting-the-best-wifi-signal/ 

Also there have been reports that some kit can have a problem with the Hub 1 broadcasting on 2 frequencies.The solution is to give each signal a different ID. How to do that at https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Devices-stop-working-on-5-GHz-connection-Wifi-drops/m-p/1395....

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Sorry to hear you're having issues with your wireless connection.

I'd try the steps that @BrightonRock advised of.

My actual broadband connection does not drop

I can confirm that!

Let us know how the troubleshooting goes.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
ejnallstars1
Dabbler

Thank you

As per troubleshooting guide, I have moved the cordless phone which was right next to the router.

So far, so good.

I'm only trying one thing at a time rather than all suggestions so as to know which works.

I'll keep you updated.

Thanks again

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @ejnallstars1 

Glad to hear things are looking up thus far. WiFi can be a REAL pain sometimes Sad

Please do keep us updated and do not hesitate to get back in touch with us if you need ever need more assistance.

All the best, 

MoR

ejnallstars1
Dabbler

Hello there,

I've taken a few weeks in hope that my problems are resolved, but have had no such luck. I have tried all of the above steps, and the problem persists.

Just this morning, my son turned on his PS4, which caused the disconnects to occur again. When the PS4 was turned on, an Android phone, an Xbox One X, and two Smart TVs disconnected from the network. Naturally, this shouldn't be happening, so I thought about what the problem could be.

Is there a device limit on the Plusnet One Hub? I've tried finding the answer on Google, but have had no luck. Given how popular wireless technology is, I find this hard to imagine.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Thanks for trying what you can, you might want to try separating the two wireless frequencies (2.4ghz and 5ghz) you can do this by logging into the router and changing hte name of one of the two channels. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
ejnallstars1
Dabbler

Hello there, 

Thanks for your help. I have renamed the channel, and they're separated now. 

What should I do in regards to the devices connected to the router? Some devices can see the 5GHz, whereas others can't. Shall I move some devices to the 5GHz channel, and leave others on the 2.4, in hopes that they don't interfere with each other?

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Try both frequencies on your dual band devices and just use the one that works best. Single band devices will have to use the 2.4 Gbps band.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

@Baldrick1 has hit the nail on the head here, @ejnallstars1.

Can you give this a go and let us know if it helps at all? 

Thanks,

MoR

ejnallstars1
Dabbler

Hi there,

I have done as requested, and the problem still persists.

Just for an example, I have had multiple devices connected to the router for the last 3-4 hours. There have been no disconnects, nor any issues. However, as soon as I turned on the PS4, two devices immediately disconnected.

What steps shall I take this, in hope that I can get this resolved?

JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

Is this of any help/relevance to your situation? (source: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/691087-playstation-4/71964279)

Are you using static ip address' on your ps3/ps4? If you are then you may be using the same ip address for more then one device/system. 
I generally set an ip address that is different on each device so that they won't interfere with each other. Auto ip address setting can sometime try to use one that in being used by something else. 
When using static ip address' one device will end up having an address like 192.168.1. 20. Then the next device/system can be set to 192.168.1.21 and so on with just the last number going up one number for each device. Start a bit higher then .2 so that any device you still want or need to use as auto ip can find a low number and won't try to use the ip your ps3 and ps4 are using.

ejnallstars1
Dabbler

Hi there,

Thanks a lot for your help, but sadly this has not fixed the problem. I have assigned the PS4 an IP of .74, and my Xbox of .98, but when the PS4 was turned on, the Xbox disconnected immediately. The PS4 definitely seems to be one of the main causes of the issue, but even after doing all of this, I don't seem to be any further forward with it.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@ejnallstars1, when was your firmware last updated (it will tell you in the footer of the router configuration pages)? Does the date coincide with when your problems started?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

ejnallstars1
Dabbler

The software version is 4.7.5.1.83.8.237.2.2, and was last updated 04/08/2017. The issue started occurring maybe a month or two ago, so it doesn't really coincide with the issue.