cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless Connectivity

stehooper
Dabbler

Wireless Connectivity

Having the same issue as many are in this forum... Actually seems as though a lot of people have all the issues mentioned in these forums at some point in time.

Around every 20-30 minutes, the router drops wireless connectivity and shows as connected with no nternet availible. This happens on both my phone and laptop (connected via wireless) while my desktop (connected via ethernet) stays connected and online. Disconnecting and reconnecting solves the problem but this shouldn't be happening... And isn't something that has ever happened with any other wifi service or provider... I've had more reliable services in a Premier Inn.

New router please.

11 REPLIES 11
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Re: Wireless Connectivity

Have you tried changing the wireless channel?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

@stehooper wrote:

I've had more reliable services in a Premier Inn.

That makes sense as there are likely to be fewer wireless networks nearby sharing the bandwidth.

stehooper
Dabbler

Sorry Browni, who are you mate? Plusnet support? If you've got nothing to add then maybe leave it to the people who are paid to help me, yeah?

I've used inssider to check the channels of the networks around me and tried choosing a channel accordingly. No change. Cycled through all the channels and they all provide speeds within 0.2-0.4Mbps of eachother so I wouldn't say it's a channel issue. When I connect directly via ethernet, there's no issue... Just the constant and consistent connection drops. The light says blue too so the router isn't losing connection.

Mav
Fixes: 515

@stehooper

Many forum members have a wealth of experience and offer their time and support freely to help other members where they can and supplement the help offered by Plusnet staff.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

stehooper
Dabbler

Excellent, really happy for them, and you!

I however pay for a service, and am therefore trying to find official Plusnet representation... Not an offhand opinion. Just out of curiosity, what part of Browni's comment was directed towards helping me? What part of the communities wealth of knowledge was being implemented there to help me?

Thanks in advance.

bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

What wireless router model are you using?

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Whilst I empathise with the problem, people round these parts are genuinely friendly and do try to help, so there's merit in being nice to folk Wink

Anyway, I'd try either separating the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz wireless channels (or switching 5Ghz off entirely). Would also be helpful to know what devices you have connecting wirelessly, and if there's any specific Internet activity that tends to exacerbate the problem?

When the wireless connection drops an ipconfig via the laptop might also offer some clues, e.g:

C:\WINDOWS\system32>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : BOB-DESKTOP
   Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :
   Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
   IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
   WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Atheros L1 Gigabit Ethernet:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
   Description . . . . . . . . . . . : This Atheros network controller connects you to the network.
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1B-FC-8E-XX-XX
   DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
   Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::84e1:6787:2b8:a9e3%8(Preferred)
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.100(Preferred)
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
   DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 50338812
   DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-1D-9A-1C-03-00-1B-FC-8E-9A-A2
   DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.216
   NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled  

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

stehooper
Dabbler

Merit in being nice to people? I'm not the one who chimed in on another persons thread just to make a non-related comment. Again, I fail to see the 'Help' part in either of the comments... I'm after help with an issue, not a lesson on why random people comment with such helpful advice.I'm trying to sort an issue yet getting bogged down and hijacked by comments that have ZERO relevence. Pack it in like.

That said.

I already have tried what you recommended, the 5Ghz network is switched off. I have also used the laptop/Phone on another wireless network today and the same issues were not encountered... Again, saying it is a router issue.

It happens no matter what I'm doing, streaming or just reading a page. Disconnect/reconnect and I'm good to go again... And ethernet connection doesn't suffer from this.

Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

You don't seem to understand this is forum run by the members who freely chip in with advice when someone has an issue,
and is awaiting resolution from PN via other direct channels.
As you are hostile to members who've given their time freely and also leave barbed comments, I suggest you desist from using these forums.
stehooper
Dabbler

Again, another comment offering forum advice rather than the problem I've posted about. Please, stop it... I think at this point we can safely say that I'm looking for OFFICIAL Plusnet representation, as I've mentioned in previous posts.

Get on you. I haven't even started this... Get a grip of yourself and either offer advice on the issue this post is about or don't comment. Also, I suggest you desist from chiming in on topics you have no input to offer on.

PLEASE LEAVE ME ALONE NOW AND LET THE PEOPLE WHO ARE PAID TO HELP DO WHAT THEY CAN TO HELP.

Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Suggest you unsubscribe from these forums then and use the nominated channels to deal with PN; what an unpleasant individual you are. Many thousands of users find these forums extremely valuable; fortunately individuals such as you are very rare here.