cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wired network connection problems with smart TVs

basilfaulty
Dabbler

Wired network connection problems with smart TVs

Up until last week everything was working properly but now I am having difficulty getting some devices to access the internet. My network is largely a wired network and usually wired problems are easy to solve. At some point nothing seemed to be connecting to the internet but I managed to get my pc and laptop to connect by reverting to wireless connections and after a while I managed to get them working on the wired connections again which is my preference as I get faster speeds over the wired network. My printer is also working as normal on the network.

What isn't working are the smart TVs (Samsung and Toshiba) and unlike the pcs I am unable to get them connected wirelessly either. I have tried swapping cables for example the cable that my laptop is now working with when plugged into the main TV is recognised at first but the network status check shows no connection to the internet.

I have rebooted the Technicolor Gateway router and the BT Openreach device beside it. There is one Samsung smart TV in another room that is connected wirelessly.

Any suggestions as to what I could try to get the other TVs connected would be appreciated.

8 REPLIES 8
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: Wired network connection problems with smart TVs

Have you checked the date / time on the TV's?
If it's incorrect then it has been reported that it will stop internet working.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
basilfaulty
Dabbler

I hadn't thought of checking the date/time but when I did it appeared to be correct. Since I posted this yesterday I managed to get another of the TVs connected and this morning when I checked the other two are also now connecting but I'm not sure what has happened to make this possible.

basilfaulty
Dabbler

My smart TV was connected to the internet but now I have lost that connection again and can't get it back despite trying to set it up as a wireless connection as well. It shows the TV is connected to the network but not the internet. Any help would be appreciated. Both pcs are connected with wired connections.

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Everything appears to be okay from our end @basilfaulty

Have you tried forgetting the Plusnet router on your TV's network settings and then re-connecting to it?

Sounds simple I know, just a thought. Smiley

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
basilfaulty
Dabbler

Hi,

Thanks, my main TV has now reconnected to the internet but I still have one that isn't connecting. I have tried various things like connecting wirelessly, or with no connection then wired but nothing works. These things seem to just reconnect at random.

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks @basilfaulty

Sorry to hear that you're still having issues. If other devices in your property are working fine with the router, process of elimination and all, the source of the issues could the the TV's themselves, or the Ethernet cables that you're using. Have you tried using powerline adapters at all?

Adam
basilfaulty
Dabbler

Thanks I tried swapping cables to see if it was a cable causing the problem but it wasn't a cable problem then when I swapped them back I now have all devices connecting. I haven't tried powerline adapters as normally the wired network in my flat just works.

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Fair enough @basilfaulty, either way I'm glad to hear that your devices are now connecting. If you need any further support with your Plusnet services, you know where we are. Smiley

Adam