cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will my Talktalk DSL 3780 router work with Plusnet please?

FIXED
harrym1byt
Rising Star

Will my Talktalk DSL 3780 router work with Plusnet please?

I am still waiting for the move, but.....

I hear that most/many ISP supplied routers are locked to the ISP. Anyone know if mine is please?

Not necessarily a problem, I have a few others which I could use instead. 

3 REPLIES 3
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

Re: Will my Talktalk DSL 3780 router work with Plusnet please?

Fix

A quick google shows this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7Alw8rVaCU might be useful

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

harrym1byt
Rising Star

Thanks, that didn't show up when I searched a few weeks ago...

That video condenses down to....

1. Set the 3780 with all of the settings for your new ISP, except the USERNAME and PASSWORD settings.

2. Save the configuration file to your hard disk, then open it with Notepad.

3. Change USERNAME and PASSWORD, to the new ones and upload the configuration file back to the 3780.

So the 'lock' seems to be that your USERNAME has to have @talktalk or as in our case @tiscali when setting it up via the webpage interface. Bypassed by the above config file process.

harrym1byt
Rising Star

PN broadband was activated overnight, so I was able to test the TT DSL-3780 with PN......

I was able to just enter my username and password via the routers webpage, no need for any of the above editing of the configuration file to get it to work - so obviously it wasn't locked to TT's broadband.