cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will Plusnet introduce a version of the Hub One that is similar to the HH 5B?

machare
Rising Star

Will Plusnet introduce a version of the Hub One that is similar to the HH 5B?

The Plusnet Hub One is much the same as the BT Home Hub 5A.  There is also a BT Home Hub 5B which looks very much the same but uses different chipsets.  Will Plusnet introduce a new version of the Hub One that is similar to the HH 5B?

8 REPLIES 8
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Re: Will Plusnet introduce a version of the Hub One that is similar to the HH 5B?

I'm afraid we have no plans to offer a new router at this moment in time

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Re: Will Plusnet introduce a version of the Hub One that is similar to the HH 5B?

Why would you want them to do that?  BT replaced this with.the Smarthub 6, years ago. This also uses a Broadcom chip set? Why not buy one from EBay and use that like many others of us do? Setting up instructions are here https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-the-BT-Smarthub-6-on-a-Plusnet-Account/m-p/1587673#M85...

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

machare
Rising Star

@Baldrick1 wrote:

Why would you want them to do that? 

The 5B uses a different DSL chipset which should work better with my cabinet, it can also be set to use a 10.x.x.x network. If it made sesne for BT to discontinue the 5A it would be quite likely that Plusnet would want to follow suit.

Baldrick1

@machare wrote:

The 5B uses a different DSL chipset which should work better with my cabinet, it can also be set to use a 10.x.x.x network.

The Smarthub 6 uses a broadcom chipset, the same as the HH5b. The HH5a uses the Lantiq equivalent. I have read that the Business version of the Smarthub 6 can also be configued to use the 10.x.x.x range but have never tried it myself. If you want a HH5b then buy one from Ebay, they cost very little. Setting instructions are here https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Use-a-BT-Hub-2-3-4-or-5-on-a-Plusnet-connection/m-p/1192234#...

Moderator and Customer

machare
Rising Star

As it happens I already have a 5B arguable because it was not very accurately described on ebay, but also because I Had not realised there there were two different versions  and so had not checked with the seller.  I want to install Openwrt on it but I am not sure if I can with this model type

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

As far as I am aware, there is no DSL support for any Broadcom chipset under OpenWRT because it's not open source. So if you could install OpenWRT on it, you wouldn't be able to use its modem, but it could function as a wireless router.

Baldrick1

@machare wrote:

As it happens I already have a 5B arguable because it was not very accurately described on ebay, but also because I Had not realised there there were two different versions  and so had not checked with the seller.  I want to install Openwrt on it but I am not sure if I can with this model type

So let me get this straight. You are interested in Plusnet introducing their version of a HH5b. You already have a HH5b, which you could use, but you don't think that it will do what you want in terms of installing OpenWRT.  

Is it me?

Moderator and Customer

machare
Rising Star

My original question was about what Plusnet might do. As explained the HH5B does have some other advantages to me. There are versions of DD-WRT that run on Broadcom based hardware although not the BT HH5B unless it is listed under a different name.

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules.