cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will ADSL router work as WAP with VDSL master?

FIXED
emelcee
Dabbler

Will ADSL router work as WAP with VDSL master?

Hi,

I am just about to upgrade to FTTC and have received my Hub1 VDSL router. When I install it I would like to replicate my current set-up which is a sagemcom 2704N as master router in the upstairs office with an ethernet-connected old TG585 used as a WAP in the downstairs lounge. The TG585 provides wireless access for phones, tablets, visitors etc where the wireless signal from the 2704N is weak but I also have my Humax box and smart TV plugged into it with ethernet cables. The current wireless speed is acceptable but we keep getting buffering on catch-up TV. I am unclear as to whether you can mix ADSL and VDSL devices on the same network. So my questions are:

1. can I continue to use the TG585 as a WAP with the Hub1 and will it fix the buffering issue.

2. if I replaced the TG585 with the 2704N would that improve things?

3. If I can't use either then I would prefer a WAP with ethernet ports for the TV and Humax. Would the ASUS 3-in-1 RT-N12 do the job?

Hope that's enough info.

6 REPLIES 6
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Re: Will ADSL router work as WAP with VDSL master?

@emelcee 

If you just swap the 2704n for your new Hub One everything will work as before. The buffering will have been caused by the slower ADSL speed plus the 2704n, which suffers from buffer bloat, not your WAP,

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

emelcee
Dabbler

Hi Baldrick, thanks for that - exactly what I needed. Just waiting word that the cabinet changes have been made and I can try it out. This was set up a long time ago and while I'm not entirely sure what it means I believe the SSID of the TG585 was set up to be the same as the 2704N. The new router has a different SSID printed on the back. Does this mean that I will have to make some changes?

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Fix

@emelcee 

Yes if you want to use the same SSID for both. I would change the new Hub One to the same SSID as your current set up, that way nothing else needs to change. At the same time I would split the bands on the Hub. You can do both if you follow these instructions to get to the wireless settings. https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/2-4ghz-and-or-5ghz-best-practice/m-p/1351966#M840

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Fibre to My Router.

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
emelcee
Dabbler

Install went easily and everything working as predicted. Thanks again!

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

That's fantastic news @emelcee.

We're sorry that we weren't able to assist with the issue from a Plusnet standpoint but are thrilled that you've gotten the answers you need.

Please let us know if you need any further help with anything.