Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi vanishing

PeteFitz
Dabbler

Re: Wifi vanishing

@MatthewWheeler

On that graph, yesterday, 2nd may, the last one was me rebooting, all others it rebooted itself
Wed, last one me, other 5 itself
Tues last one was the engineer visit when he replaced the master socket
All the older ones are the router doing it itself.

Thinking back, about a year ago I phoned up to complain about drop outs. Was on hold for 45 minutes and then when I got through, the customer service guy said he would just run a test and the phone went dead and dial tone so got cut off. Didn't get a call back and I wasnt waiting another 45 minutes to talk to someone.
DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

You've probably done this previously, but can you connect the router to the test point on your master socket? You'd need to use a microfilter and also any phone extensions would stop working, so you'd need to plug the main phone into the filter too.

You'd need to remove any faceplates that are in addition to the original one (depending on what type of socket you have)

There's info on the test point here, then leave it connected for roughly 3 days, to see if the drops stop. If they do, then your internal wiring or the faceplate is likely to be the cause, but if the drops continue then it's an external fault.

PeteFitz
Dabbler

@DS

I've already done that test. It was plugged into the test socket on the Thursday of the graph and by Sunday plusnet said an engineer needs to visit, which he did on the Tuesday at around 1pm and said there was a bridge tap and replaced the master socket.
DS
Seasoned Champion

Due to the drops continuing then I'd say it isn't your fault then Smiley

Plusnet may still ask you to connect to it still, just to follow the correct procedure, though now I doubt it.

They will probably reject the 'clear' and hand it back to Openreach. A GEA test could well show what the fault is (Plusnet may put one on the ticket system (aka my questions) which will be accessible via your account).

But you're in the same position I was, a router dropping the connection and the router dropping your connections.

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @PeteFitz,

I'm sorry that your connection is still dropping and for the inconvenience that this is causing you.

I've sent this back to our suppliers and they have asked us to book another engineer visit so that this may be investigated further. However, before we do this it would be worth ruling out your router as the cause. Do you have any spare routers that you could try? (e.g. from your previous provider and not locked to a different ISP.) If so, please let us know and we can send you instructions on how to configure this to our network.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
PeteFitz
Dabbler

@EmilyD

I have a D-link dsl-2750B router that I can try. Is this compatible or do I need a modem as well? If its compatible then send me the instructions and I'll test it out.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks for getting back to us.

From a quick Google search, I believe that router is only compatible with ADSL (standard broadband) and not fibre (VDSL). 

It may be worth you calling our customer options team on 0800 013 2632 to discuss your options for a new router from us.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
PeteFitz
Dabbler

@DS

Thanks for your help through this.

As advised in the reply from @Gandalf from the plusnet help team, I've called the number to discuss my options about getting a router sent out. The words 'discuss options' rang alarm bells....

Initially they spoke to the tech team to see if it's worth me paying postage for a new router. Cant believe I have to pay postage to fix a problem to services I pay for!

As my router is now out of warranty, I can sign up for a new contract to get a free router. That means tie myself in for a fixed time just to see if it's the router. Alternatively I can get an engineer and possibly face a £65 call out fee.

I'm starting to think a new provider is needed and perhaps if it's a fault on the network, the new provider can deal with it better.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

In fairness, if your router is out of warranty and you're no longer within a contract, we're not obligated to send you a router free of charge however we are happy to cover the cost as part of a new contract term and possibly cheaper deal for yourself.

If you signed up to a new provider, you'll likely get a free-ish router but also likely be tied in a contract term.

With regards to the possible call out charge of £65 should your equipment be faulty, it's in everyone's best interests to try to ensure an appointment isn't chargeable as we'd only pass on to you a small portion of the charge we receive.

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): Typo corrected.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
DS
Seasoned Champion

No problem @PeteFitz  Thumbs_Up

Let's assume something here, regarding the wifi, IF it turns out you're also suffering with the router software, then buying or getting one free (but still paying postage costsLips_are_sealed) then once that router updates its just going to happen again on the new router.

But if you renew, you might be saving money but renewing a contract aint going to magically fix both issues

I totally understand your reasoning for jumping this ship, though there is an alternative, which probably would fix the wifi and may actually fix the connection dropping too - but it comes at a cost, but it should cost around £20 or thereabouts. The possible 'solution' would be to buy a BT Hub 6 from ebay. Some of us (myself included) are using one of these and my wifi is 'fixed' and my own connection dropping has now stopped dropping (I currently have 16 days without any issues). If this is something you might consider then look for the FTTC version - if you're not sure, find one and post the link up and I'll check this for you.

The H6 will need some tweaking to get it to work on the Plusnet connection, but there's a how to on these forums (or I can assist with any issues you run in to;))

PeteFitz
Dabbler

@DS

Just an update, I chose to jump ship, got a much better and cheaper deal and I get a new router.

The day plusnet email me to say the phone line is transferring, the green light starts flashing and internet goes down.

Managed to get hold of a draytek router and fitted it last night. So far, all working well.
DS
Seasoned Champion

I can't actually fault you @PeteFitz 

(I was this >< close to lowering the life raft myself)

And why oh why do our current ISP's dangle the bigger carrot for newcomers only is one of lifes mysteries I guess.

Good luck and should you ever come back, you'll know where to find me Wink

(though the hull of this ship looks a little rotten!!)

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi @PeteFitz 

I'm sorry to see you've decided to go. If there's anything we can do to try to keep you as a customer, please let us know otherwise all the best with whoever you've gone with.

With regards to your current service we'd still be providing it until your new provider takes over the line, which is generally 10 working days later. Unsure why your connection dropped at roughly the same time but it sounds like it was coincidence.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
PeteFitz
Dabbler

Just a quick update, Draytek router running for 4 days now and no dropouts on the wifi or broadband, all working really well. Looks like the plusnet hub one really was the cause.
DS
Seasoned Champion

I was able to point out that my hub6 works better on my connection than when using the hub one.

I am really pleased to hear it's working fine (albeit on another network). The main aim has been accomplished Wink

Good luck Thumbs_Up