cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi vanishing

PeteFitz
Dabbler

Wifi vanishing

I've been experiencing issues with broadband for a while and it got to a head when the wifi would drop out and when you try to reconnect, the plus net router is not visible. The hard wired still works. Either fixes with a reset of the router... switch off and on, or it ends up resetting itself. Plusnet customer service found the drop outs and did tests. An engineer was called and the master socket was changed, saying there was a bridge tap. He showed my wife a graph to show it was now far more stable.

That was last night, and now tonight the same fault has occurred 3 times.

My 15 year old is trying to study for GCSE's and these drop outs are adding to his stress and we need a solution that is permanent. Any suggestions?
29 REPLIES 29
DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

Re: Wifi vanishing

Welcome to the forums @PeteFitz 

It does sound like you had two issues, one with the connection and one with the wifi.

Is this latest issue solely wifi?

What version of router are you using? If it's the Plusnet Hub One, can you please post the software version it's on. To find this, click this link http://192.168.1.254 and scroll to the bottom of that page. It will have the software version and the date installed. Does the date tally with when the wifi issues first became an issue?

PeteFitz
Dabbler

Plusnet Hub One | Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 | Last updated 28/02/19

It might tie in with the issues. Our boy has been complaining for a while and I didn't really notice my phone jumping from wifi to mobile data and back till a few weeks ago.

The fault reported originally last week to plus net was as described above, ie wifi vanishing. The engineer put it down to this bridge tap. Fault has not cleared. Could be he found another fault we hadn't noticed.
DS
Seasoned Champion

Based solely on the above, it might be the case that you're also one of the few that have been having issues with the latest router software. '263' is the latest release. If you don't mind, could you please answer the questions here that have been asked by @Optimatts 

And yes, I think it was a coincidence that you had two 'faults'

(and I really think the call centre staff should be told about the software issue)

A temporary 'fix', that I've suggested to the 'few' other users (that I've been able to find), is to click the following http://192.168.1.254/index.cgi?active_page=9105

On the wireless network enable, instead of the default of yes, select no and click apply

(ignore the warning messages, it's normal)

This will turn off the 5GHz and put a red light on the router, ignore this or put tape over it, then see if the wifi works any better.

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hi @PeteFitz, I've tested the line today and no faults are being detected and the connection looks to have stabilised since around 11.30pm, so may be worth monitoring it further. Can you advise how the connection seems today?

Are you seeing issues over both wired and wireless connections still?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
PeteFitz
Dabbler

Hi Lauren,

11.30pm would tie up with when I rebooted the router so I could log in to it to get the software level.

I'm at work so will not know until this evening when we sit down to watch TV how the connection is holding up.

I'll reply later when I know and can answer some of the questions in that link that was given.
LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Thanks @PeteFitz, let us know how it goes.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
PeteFitz
Dabbler

just finished work to come home to a fed up wife and child.

My wife has been on BBC iplayer most of the day as she is not well. Been perfect all day. Then at 6pm, 8.15pm and 9.25pm the TV lost connection. It's hard wired in. The router, on all three times, reset itself.

Whilst I cannot confirm.for sure, I can bet my bottom dollar that the wifi went down and the router 'vanished' some.time prior to these reboots.

I also bet that if I reset my router now, you would report that everything has become stable. I've not reset it yet, but if I do, I'll advise the time here.

Edit: 9.43pm wifi gone down, router vanished.
9.44pm TV lost hard wired connection
9.45pm I've turned router off and back on.
PeteFitz
Dabbler

@DS

Answers to those questions:
1. Problem occurs when wifi shuts down and router disappears from available connections. Later, router reboots itself. This continues to happen during peak times in the evening.
2. Problem became noticeable in the last few weeks but have had drop outs for a few months and ignored it.
3. Not sure where to find firmware but software version stated in reply above.
4. 2.4ghz has laptop and galaxy s8
5ghz has another galaxy s8, galaxy tab, notebook
Ethernet has xbox one via one lead and LG TV via another lead, connected to a netgear 16 port switch.

There is a further galaxy s8, laptop, DVD player and canon printer that connect up both wireless and ethernet when switched on.
There is a 2gb USB stick in the drive.

5. 16 port netgear switch, 8 Poe, 8 standard, 2gb usb stick, no other adapters or access points
6. All wifi connected affected, all galaxy s8 phones on current software.
7. Presume merged. Did try turning off auto channel and fixing both 2.4 and 5ghz to set channels as advised by customer services.
8.not yet tried factory reset.
9. Yes, happy to downgrade firmware. It's either this or I'll be looking to another provider soon.

Thanks

Pete
PeteFitz
Dabbler

Just realised I've posted in adsl broadband. We have fibre if that makes any difference.
DS
Seasoned Champion

I totally understand your frustration, as until recently I too had drops in the connection (the router would randomly drop the connection to the www and reboot).

This won't help, but every time the router drops, or you reboot the router, each one is logged. What we really need to see from Plusnet is the results of a RADIUS graph to see just how many drops you're having (we can ignore your manual reboots)

Turning off the 5GHz (as per my advice further up) might help too. I don't think this is causing the drops, but by turning it off we'd know for sure.

(just spotted your replies above as I was typing this out)

If it's okay with you, can I post the following on that other topic? (Hopefully having them all in one place may help)

1. Problem occurs when wifi shuts down and router disappears from available connections. Later, router reboots itself. This continues to happen during peak times in the evening.
2. Problem became noticeable in the last few weeks but have had drop outs for a few months and ignored it.
3. Not sure where to find firmware but software version stated in reply above.
4. 2.4ghz has laptop and galaxy s8
5ghz has another galaxy s8, galaxy tab, notebook
Ethernet has xbox one via one lead and LG TV via another lead, connected to a netgear 16 port switch.

There is a further galaxy s8, laptop, DVD player and canon printer that connect up both wireless and ethernet when switched on.
There is a 2gb USB stick in the drive.

5. 16 port netgear switch, 8 Poe, 8 standard, 2gb usb stick, no other adapters or access points
6. All wifi connected affected, all galaxy s8 phones on current software.
7. Presume merged. Did try turning off auto channel and fixing both 2.4 and 5ghz to set channels as advised by customer services.
8.not yet tried factory reset.
9. Yes, happy to downgrade firmware. It's either this or I'll be looking to another provider soon.

Just realised I've posted in adsl broadband. We have fibre if that makes any difference.

It doesn't matter, but I'll ask one of the forum moderators to move it to either the 'fibre' section or the 'my router' section - I'll let them decide.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from ADSL Broadband to My Router

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
PeteFitz
Dabbler

@DS feel free to share those answers.

I'll turn off the 5mhz later, either when we go to bed or tomorrow.

Thanks for your assistance.
DS
Seasoned Champion

Thanks Smiley

(I'll tag you and this topic too - you don't need to reply on that other thread, unless you want to)

I'll turn off the 5mhz later, either when we go to bed or tomorrow.

Thanks for your assistance.

No problem and it's my pleasure Wink

Hopefully at some point tomorrow the Plusnet staff will drop a reply on here. I'm pretty certain you have 2 issues that need resolving.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Thanks for the information @PeteFitz

I've passed this onto our products team so that they can investigate further.

Can you also confirm how many of the below drops are you rebooting the router?

Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team