Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi terrible on every channel

FIXED
Hanleyma

Wifi terrible on every channel

Hi

im going nuts, my broadband connection via wired connection is great. However on the wireless it's terrible face time is pretty much unusable. I've tried switching  channels and am using a channel scanner app to check the busy channels nothing seems to make any difference. Annoyingly the router only does 2.4 so I can't even take advantage of the 5ghz connection on my Mac gear. I used virgin fibre before which most others in the street used and it was never an issue like this. 

Anyine got any suggestions. Is it possible to swap the hardware for a more modern router.

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

Re: Wifi terrible on every channel

I presume you have ADSL broadband.

The Virgin Superhub 2 and 2ac, are N750 and AC1200 dual band routers respectively .

If you specifically desire 5 GHz wifi, you could consider a BT Home Hub 4 (N600), BT Home Hub 5 type A or B (AC1200) or a Plusnet Hub One (rebadged BT Home Hub 5 type A).  These can be picked up very cheaply on eBay.  I find the wifi on the number of HH5 type A hubs to be poor compared to other modem-less dual band routers I own or tested.

Or consider any 3rd party ADSL router.  I would recommend purchasing from a retailer with very good refund/returns policy.  Someone may be able to recommend particular models.  The TPlink TD-W8980 N600 router was probably one of the least expensive ADSL dual band routers around, but I think it has been discontinued.

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
Hanleyma

Hi Bill888

thanks fir the info. I will attempt to purchase on the routers you mention. Do you know if there is a 'noddy' guide on what and where to reconfigure for plus net settings. Fingers crossed this does the trick, it really is unusable at the moment.

thanks

Mark

bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

Fix

For BT Home Hub or Plusnet Hub One router, please refer to this thread

https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/Use-a-BT-Hub-2-3-4-or-5-on-a-Plusnet-connection/td-p/1...

Or put simply, factory reset the Home Hub and then log into it and locate the page where you simply enter your Plusnet username (eg. myname@plusdsl.net) & password.  On a Home Hub 5, I think it is under 'Advanced Settings' -> 'Broadband'.  Then press 'Connect' button. Job done.

If using a 3rd party router, there are a few more parameters to configure.  Refer to this Plusnet help page:

https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/broadband-connection-settings/

(Plusnet TV may have issues with certain 3rd party routers)

fwiw, TP-Link offer online menu 'emulators' for their routers:

http://www.tp-link.com/en/emulators.html

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
Hanleyma

Hi Bill888

bt home hub 5 (b) purchased for 15 quid and installed, so far wifi issues appear to be resolved!

thanks for all your assistance and excellent guides on installing the box.

cheers

Mark