cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi signal keeps dropping

GarethE
Hooked

Wifi signal keeps dropping

Hi, I moved to Plusnet from BT in Feb 2020. Never had any problems with my BT wifi ever. On connecting my new Plusnet router I have had continuous ongoing problems with the Wifi dropping to the point where it becomes unusable. My wife and I are retired so rely heavily on our Wifi. I raised a ticket which resulted in some diagnostic tests but no real improvement. I have spent hours and hours going through every self-help suggestion. I have moved the router to be plugged into the master socket with no change. Tried different channels etc but nothing has worked. Having just done a test, my download speed is about 60mps and my upload is about 9mps yet it freezes or drops out for a minute or two. Resetting the router seems to work for up to an hour then it reverts back. I am not a very technical person but It feels to me like a faulty router? Can anyone help me to get this resolved please?   Thank you

5 REPLIES 5
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Wifi signal keeps dropping

Moderators Note
This topic has been moved from ADSL Broadband to My Router.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
MMG
Dabbler

How many devices have you got connected to your wifi?

I have seen speed issues with laptops and outdated drivers.

If you have a laptop, have you tried getting a long network cat5e cable and using that for a while to see if it is your router of wifi causing issues?

GarethE
Hooked

Hi,

Thank you for your help.

I have a Macbook, 2 ipads and 2 iphones and a Nest thermostat. There is just my wife and I so all devices are not using Wifi simultaneously. We haven't increased our number of devices since we switched over to Plusnet and we didn't experience these problems before, everything worked fine.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

@GarethE 

If you still have your BT Hub then use that. Setting instructions are here. https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-the-BT-Smarthub-6-on-a-Plusnet-Account/m-p/1587673#M85...

They are better devices then the Plusnet offerings and many of us use them.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

GarethE
Hooked

Thank you Baldrick, I had to send the router back to BT but I will go online and order a second hand one. Thanks for the link for setting it up.