cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi signal dropping out

storeyboy10

Wifi signal dropping out

Hi I could do with some help. I have the fibre product with the Plusnet One router. All was fine until a few months ago, now the wifi signal weakens every 5 mins or so then often completely disconnects. I can then reconnect and it works fine for a few more mins before it goes again.

I have been through support who have suggested all the usual diagnositics plus changing the channel of the router - I have tried everything and still the problem persists.

Is the router faulty or can someone suggest perhaps another cause?

Thanks

Chris
8 REPLIES 8
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Re: Wifi signal dropping out

Is router close to other sources of EMI (interference)?

Microwave, cordless phone, weather station, wireless alarm panel etc etc?
If so move one away.

Did you use a wifi analyser to find least crowded channel in your area

eg inSSIDER a free app?

Additionally the 5ghz frequency on your dual band router is less crowded currently, so

try giving the ssid name of that channel a different name, and connect to that on one device

and see if it improves. (Assuming you've a PN Hub One router).

Try turning the other channel off temporarily; see if that assists.

storeyboy10

Hi - so I have tried running a separate 5ghz network, and I still experience regular dropout's. the router is not located near any other devices. I have tried a wifi scanner and tried every single channel - without any luck.

I am running out of ideas, could the router be faulty? thanks

Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

No point in trying already busy channels; yes it could be router.

YOU don't state if it's a PN Hub One router, but if so a firmware upgrade can only be done via PN remotely;

can you post router software version that appears at base of the router web interface, and a PN

advisor can advise if there's an update they could apply.

storeyboy10

Thanks - it's Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.22 and it's a Plusnet One router
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Do all wifi devices have the same issue or just specific ones?

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
storeyboy10

It is all wifi devices. It's very annoying when watching something streaming on TV.

Could a new / better router (i.e. one I buy and configure myself) be a good route to go down? Any recommendations?

Keithimike

I also face the same situation. Though I use broadband connection. My connection was dropping suddenly. Then I changed my connected plugin and now its okey.

Anx01

Hi All,

I have a similar issue, but only with wireless speakers. They just seem to drop out for a few seconds while streaming from a device? This happens with increasing frequency, then it just drops out all together?

It seems I have to re connect the speakers to the home network to fix the problem, which essentially defeats the object of having wireless speakers in terms of ease of use and functionality  

Is this a router issue?

Anks