cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi genius needed! Full wifif signal and no connection

alexandles
Dabbler

Wifi genius needed! Full wifif signal and no connection

If there are any gurus of wifi out there who can help, please read on. We have had continual issues with wifi for months now, with some help from Plusnet but now thinking of changing suppliers despite all the agro that goes with it.

We have had a new master socket and BT engineer out to improve speeds and numerous calls and emails but still we can be sat 1 foot away from the router with a full signal and cannot get on the internet. i can then plug a laptop directly in to the router with an ethernet cable and sometimes get good speeds but sometimes it just wont get on the internet. This is also  a relatively new second router that Plus Net have sent out.

We have iphones and ipads but they can take 4 or 5 attempts to get on the internet. We have had settings on the router changed as well as channels changed to no avail. I have removed TPLinks to check it wasnt them as well as removing wifi signal boosters but have run out of ideas.

Any geniuses out there?

20 REPLIES 20
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Re: Wifi genius needed! Full wifif signal and no connection

If it's a PN Hub One router, and therefore a 2 channel device, you need to assign a slightly different SSID name in router settings.
Additionally d/load a free wifi analyser programme, and check which wifi channels are most
populated in your vicinity; then select channel/s least used.
Ensure router is not near a wifi device eg cordless phone.
See if that helps.
alexandles
Dabbler

Can you recommend a Wi-fi analyser app and how do you change the ssid?

Yes hub one
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@alexandles 

To separate the 2.4 and 5GHz bands see here. https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/2-4ghz-and-or-5ghz-best-practice/m-p/1351966#M840

To monitor WiFi transmissions I use the free WiFi Analyser App on an Android phone.

InSSIDer is also a good Windows App.  

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Moderators Note
This topic has been moved from Fibre Broadband to My Router.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
alexandles
Dabbler

Thanks. I have an iPhone. Which is best analyser app fir Apple? What am I looking for?

Currently sat 1 foot from router. Full Wi-fi signal and no connection. Both 2.4 and 5ghz

Any ideas?
markhawkin
Pro
Fixes: 11

@alexandles 

By no WiFi do you mean that you can see the router landing page but no further (so can't reach beyond the router) or can you not connect to the WiFi ?

The "free" Plusnet router isn't great but many people use it and splitting the two WiFi bands tends to sort many issues.

Also did you previously have a broadband service, if so who with ?

If BT you can use the old router (with your new Plusnet settings) which might help.

Other than giving you a replacement router, I'm not sure what changing ISP will do for you.

There isn't a WiFi analyser for Apple iOS (as far as I know) as the phone doesn't allow access to the WiFi software in a suitable way.

In the iPhone settings for WiFi, when you press the (i) what do you see ?

I would expect

• IP address 192.168.1.xx (a number between 64 & 253)
  • Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
  • Router 192.168.1.254

If you see a 169 IP address then it suggests the connection process between the phone and router is failing.

I am the satisfied customer....
Kevin
Rising Star

In the original post

Quote: i can then plug a laptop directly in to the router with an ethernet cable and sometimes get good speeds but sometimes it just wont get on the internet. 

This would seem to indicate a broadband connection problem, rather than a wifi one!

Kevin.
markhawkin
Pro
Fixes: 11

That was my thinking, hence the question about seeing the landing page.

Another potential problem would be DHCP failing (for some reason).

The best bet is either internal (in the premises) or external wiring issues, particularly if Plusnet "fibre" is an upgrade from a different supplier's ADSL.

The new BT master socket (and assuming that is where the router connects) should mean that the internal wiring has no impact.

A faulty router should be eliminated by Plusnet having sent a second, hence, on the face of it, the possibilities of something about the devices connected or an external wiring fault.

I am the satisfied customer....
alexandles
Dabbler

Thanks but having checked, this is already set up .

alexandles
Dabbler

So basically I can't connect to the internet and it will often take 4 or 5 page refreshes to get it to work.

the settings are all as you highlight on the phone.

Is it best to use 2.4ghz or 5 ghz for the mobile or should it make no difference?

alexandles
Dabbler

So if I change isp I may have excatly the same issue do you think?

alexandles
Dabbler

what should the 2.4 be used for and what should the 5 be used for?

alexandles
Dabbler

So bands are split but now on the lap top and can only pick up 2.4ghz and no 5ghz. Should this be the case. Sat 1 foot from the router but not ethernet cabled up. 

have downloaded wifi analyzer and chose channel 11 for the 2.4ghz but cant do 5ghz. Any ideas?

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@alexandles 

Not all devices supports 5GHz, I guess that your laptop is one.

All devices support 2.4 GHz, which is the older standard. 2.4 GHz is slower than 5GHz but travels further than 5GHz so selecting the best band to use is a compromise between speed and distance. Choosing the bestis a case of trying both and using the best, assuming of course that the device supports both.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'