Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi connectivity issues for non-mobile devices

fatmungo
Hooked

Wifi connectivity issues for non-mobile devices

Hi all,

I have been experiencing wi-fi connectivity issues on and off for more than 6 months but these have now become an almost daily occurrence now.  The connectivity issues only manifest on non-mobile devices, specifically a chrome book and a laptop running windows.  The only solution is to reboot the router and everything returns to normal.

I had already had the router setup to have a split 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz networks with different names.  The channels are also avoiding any local wi-fi networks so I can rule out interference.

And so, having trawled these forums for something to change I turn to the great hive mind directly for some direct help!

[Plusnet Hub One | Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 | Last updated 28/01/19]

Cheers,

Dave

23 REPLIES 23
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Re: Wifi connectivity issues for non-mobile devices

Welcome to the forums, @fatmungo .

I'm no expert, but your problem appears to be with the wi-fi equipment on the chromebook and laptop (which version of Windows, btw?)

If it was happening to me, my first actions would be to make sure the system reported no problems with the wi-fi adapters on the affected machines, check that there were no updates to said adapters, and as a final self-help attempt, uninstall and re-install them. If you still had problems, I'm afraid I'm out of useful suggestions, but there are some more knowledgable than me people on these forums who may spot this thread and offer further ideas.

John
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Thanks for getting in touch @fatmungo

I have a Chromebook which also shows the same issues as what you've had. I've asked our Products team for more info but in the meantime can you confirm the make and model of your Chromebook?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
jab1
Legend

@MatthewWheeler I'll leave the chromebook question in your capable hands, then - I've zero experience with them anyway.

Still think there's a device-specific problem though with the Windows machine.

John
NigeBoy
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

@fatmungo
Are the affected devices using (or attempting to use) 5Ghz WiFi?
Nobody has mentioned the known bug with the firmware on your router which has existed for 9+ months.
Plusnet staff on this forum never seem to suggest it might be that!
jab1
Legend

@NigeBoy I may be wrong here, but I'd be very surprised if either laptop or chromebook has 5Ghz capability.

John
NigeBoy
Aspiring Pro

@jab1
I agree but we don't know yet. Worth knowing as the user said they did split the SSIDs.
jab1
Legend

Fair enough.Wink

John
fatmungo
Hooked

Hi everyone - thanks for all the additional avenues of investigation.  

Here is the additional info that has been requested.

@jab1 Windows laptop - bit of a strange one configuration wise.  Its a MacBook Pro with bootcamp used to run Windows 10 Pro.  There may be some network device issues with this as it has been temperamental before.  ** update** Just did a bit of testing on this and it doesnt like the 2.4 Ghz network - it will seem to connect and secure a connection but no internet is available.  Switching back to the 5Ghz network and all is well.

@MatthewWheeler Chromebook - Asus C223NA-DH02

@jab1 @NigeBoy 5Ghz Network - the chromebook is currently connected to the 5Ghz network as type this.  The windows laptop can also connect to it.

Cheers,

Dave

jab1
Legend

Thanks for that additional information, @fatmungo .

I hate to do this, but I'm afraid that I have no experience with either MacBooks or Chromebooks. Only thing I will say is that I'm not too surprised you have problems with the MacBook- Apple don't like it much if you try messing with their hardware, or so I have been told by people who have tried this.😀

John
NigeBoy
Aspiring Pro

Sounds like the well reported 5 GHz problem to me.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi Dave, thanks for getting back to us.

I've checked the question that Matthew posted to our products team and they've not responded yet, but I'd expect a response either tonight or tomorrow. We'll let you know when we know more.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
fatmungo
Hooked

Hi @Gandalf - problems extended to mobile devices yesterday with slow download speeds and when disconnected taking a long time to reconnect.  Router reboot - problem solved. Today the sky Q min was unable to connect.  Router reboot - problem solved.

Is there an obvious resolution path to take here e.g. a firmware update?  Otherwise I will have to look at replacing the router before xmas!

Cheers,

Dave

Mads
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 79

Hey @fatmungo,

Thanks for getting back to us.

As Matt mentioned this has been raised to our products team for further investigation - I've sent across a chase email to see where we are with it currently.

Thanks.

fatmungo
Hooked

@Mads + @Gandalf - any update?  Im still rebooting to keep my wi-fi stable 😞

Dave