cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi connection problem

mcjizja
Dabbler

Wifi connection problem

Over the last few weeks I've noticed that my connection would momentarily drop, only to immediately come back.

Its not my line,as per : https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/Internet-keeps-dropping/m-p/1460032#M62641

I've spent all weekend with my laptop on a wired connection to the router, and not experienced the issue.

So I guess it is a wifi problem.

The signal strength icons on my laptop and iphone are always high when it happens and I'm generally very close to the router. I don't ever notice the 'no internet connection' exclamation mark on my windows laptop, and on my phone, a webpage would just hang rather than switch to 4G which I would expect it to do if there was no connection at all. Not sure if any of that info helps but would love some tips to get to the bottom of it. 

9 REPLIES 9
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: Wifi connection problem

Hi there,

Have you tried changing the WiFi channel in your router settings? This guide should help explain how to do that: https://community.plus.net/t5/Plusnet-Blogs/How-to-boost-your-wi-fi/ba-p/1450193

Anoush

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

You may have a neighbour who's now using same/ overlapping channel/s as you. An app such

as inSSIDer (free) will show which frequencies in use locally.

Then choose an unoccupied channel: you could try turning off the 2.4ghz frequency if you've a dual

band router. 5ghz is, currently, less used/ populated.

mcjizja
Dabbler

Hi,

I've been trying to narrow this down a bit.

1.I have a range extender, so switched this off. I still get the problem

2.I downloaded inSSIDer. found an unused channel (10 - previously it was on auto). I still get the problem.

(My network is 'House')

Capture.PNG

3. I have created separate SSIDs for 2.4 and 5 GHz channels. My work laptop (on which I notice the issue most) is only 2.4 compatible.

4. My phone is locked to 5GHz channel, and i'm not 100% sure yet but this seems to be ok but will keep monitoring.

5. There are constant disconnects in the log (9c:4e:36:bb:ca:64 is the address of my work laptop😞

Capture2.PNG

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Does your other laptop still show the same symptoms? Or have I misread and you only have the work laptop.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
mcjizja
Dabbler

I just have the one.

mcjizja
Dabbler

Any further thoughts?

Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Assuming the laptop is running Win 10, and that Corporate IT haven't locked off, try going into
Network I/Net Settings (Click on wireless icon in bottom right of screen)
Click WiFi link
Manage Known Networks
Delete the troublesome link by clicking in, and select "Forget"
Come out of settings.
Click on wireless icon again, and it should see a new network; connect to it.
The trouble could be the corporate firewall, but you'll probably have no way of managing it.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

If Gel's response doesn't help, the best bet would be to possibly borrow a different laptop and see if that experiences the same problems.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Can't your phone connect to the 2.4Ghz channel as you've now separated them?

Best thing to do is to try it out with a different device on there, and see if you get the same problem. This would rule out it being a problem with the laptop if you still have it.