Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi checkboxes TG582n

FIXED
IngeJones
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Wifi checkboxes TG582n

On the TG582n, what is the difference in function between WLAN Enable checkbox and Interface Enabled checkbox?  I have done quite a bit of googling on the matter but no page I have seen even acknowledges the presence of both checkboxes on the same router.   Some pages mention one and some the other - same with their screenshots!  Not seen anyone with exactly my menu Cheesy

4 REPLIES 4
RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

Re: Wifi checkboxes TG582n

WLAN controls the local network function.
Interface is for the wireless connection itself.

Quite obvious when you think about it logically.
That's RPM to you!!
IngeJones
Aspiring Pro

That's the problem, that bit is obvious and you've told me the obvious bit.  I was hoping for more detail about consequences. "Affects the local network", yes, but in what way?  What effect?  As in, if I leave the interface box ticked, and turn off the other box, does the modem go on pulsing out wifi scans but uselessly because nothing can connect?  And if vice versa does it mean for example my tablet can connect to the modem but not get any further like onto the internet?

RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

Fix
Essentially with WLAN off devices can authenticate onto the wifi but won't get DHCP connection info, so won't be able to have internet and won't see your local network.

Switching those two options around from the first case scenario will simply result in disabling the wifi from working altogether.

I've no idea why the first option is available in the GUI, it serves zero purpose for most users.
That's RPM to you!!
IngeJones
Aspiring Pro

Somewhat as I suspected, but I thought it wouldn't hurt to make sure Smiley