cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi Registration Failed

smakibbfb

Wifi Registration Failed

Thank in advance for any help.

I changed provider from TalkTalk to Plusnet a bit more than two week ago. Since the change, my wife and I have been noticing a repetitive (multiple times a day) but randomly occurring issue with connectivity on our android phones, and I believe yesterday evening on the Smart TV while in the middle of something we were trying to watch on BBC iPlayer.

The symptom is that when trying use a web browser to access a page, or any other app that is trying to communicate over the internet, it will just hang and sometimes eventually time out. It seems going to another app or restarting the app will 'wake it up'. It doesn't seem to affect more than one device at a time; yesterday, when iPlayer on the TV fell over, I was able to resume watching using a Chromecast.

It has not yet been noticeable on any machines running windows (of which we have five in regular use at the moment, with home working).

I've been trying to dig into it and I think I've narrowed it down to a router issue - though I could be wrong. We've been noting down the time of instances of this occurring. In the router logs, it seems to coincide with, in the Wifi category, from just this morning:

11:43:25, 06 Sep.ath00: STA <MAC address> IEEE 802.11: Client disassociated
11:43:25, 06 Sep.ath00: STA <MAC address> IEEE 802.11: WiFi registration failed
11:42:19, 06 Sep.ath10: STA <MAC address> IEEE 802.11: Client associated

At the moment everything is connected to the 5GHz band. Would connecting to the 2.4GHz band make a difference?

Anything else I should consider?

7 REPLIES 7
Leapy
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 3

Re: Wifi Registration Failed

@smakibbfb  5GHz is short range and should seamlessly auto switch to 2.4GHz.

If your using the Plusnet One Hub, check the firmwear https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Hub-One-5GHz-WiFi-issue/m-p/1696363 

I run my Plusnet on a BT Smarthub6 and I think it's much better https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-the-BT-Smarthub-6-on-a-Plusnet-Account/m-p/1764186#M21...

haywardsteve
Grafter

Try using a direct ethernet connection between your router and the device which should tell you if its a wifi issue you can pick up a cable on Amanzon for a few pounds you need a cable of either cat 5 or cat 6 with a RJ45plug on each end.IF it fixes the problem then you have a WIFI problem around your house

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

@smakibbfb 

You say that you are currently using the 5GHz band. Does this mean that you are not using a Plusnet Hub One or you have separated the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands? If not try it and use the best, see. https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/2-4ghz-and-or-5ghz-best-practice/m-p/1351966#M840 

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

smakibbfb

Yes I'm using a Hub One.

Thanks @Leapy for the link - that page didn't come up in my search. The firmware version is one of the ones BobPullen lists as affected - 4.7.5.1.83.8.263. The problem described is similar, but the devices never believe they are disconnected from the hub - they just spend ages trying to load something - sometimes it gets through if left alone, usually it times out.

@haywardsteve I've got plenty of RJ45 cables around if I need them. Given that the problem is mainly with android devices, that's not much use. I don't feel like buying a RJ45 - USBC adapter. I'm not even sure the phones are wired to handle its network connection through the USB-C port.

@Baldrick1 I haven't changed anything about the 2.4GHz and 5GHz settings, I meant that everything is choosing the 5GHz band automatically, as it shows on the "Home Network" section of the router settings. I find it strange that, as yet, it has only been the android phones and the TV that are affected. The Hub One is less than 2m from the living room sofa, which is where we are sat when some of the issues have occurred, so I'd be surprised if it is a range issue. I wonder if the windows machines are just better at discarding the 5GHz band when it starts to muck about.

So I'll try disabling the 5GHz band and see how it behaves.

Thanks all for the input.

smakibbfb

I did reply to this message but I don't know where it went. Again:

@Leapy Thanks for linking to the BobPullen thread - I don't know how I missed that. It sounds like I've got a very similar problem. My firmware is 4.7.5.1.83.8.263. which is one of the ones listed as affected, but the affected devices never believe they aren't connected, apps just hang while waiting for something to download that never comes. Sometimes it arrives, more often it times out.

@haywardsteve I've got plenty of RJ45 cables, but nothing that will connect an android smartphone to the router. I don't feel like buying a USB-C to RJ45 connector.

@Baldrick1 I mean, according to the router "Home Network" page, all devices have decided to connect to the 5GHz band. I haven't changed any of the default settings. It's odd that only Andoid devices are affected - given that they are frequently the closest thing to the router at the time that the problem appears. I wonder if the Windows machines have better antennae or something, or perhaps are better at dumping 5GHz when it starts mucking about.

I will try disabling the 5GHz band and see how it goes.

Thanks for the ideas.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

@smakibbfb 

I agree that the flaky firmware especially relating to the 5GHz band is the most likely cause but there is another scenario.

When both bands are synchronised some devices get confused and flip flop between the two, resulting in all sorts of problems. By separating them as I suggested above you can try each band separately. It's just possible that your 5GHz band is working properly but the presence of the 2.4 GHz band with the same SSID is screwing up your devices. It does happen.

When you are ready to give up on your Hub One go onto an auction site and spend very little money on a BT Smarthub 6. You will find setting instructions pinned at the top of this board.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

smakibbfb

@baldrick

So after switching off 5GHz for a few days everything behaved pretty well. I have since turned 5GHz back on but split it out as you suggest, and as far as I can tell it is still working fine, though we have yet to test more than a couple of devices on the 5GHz band.

Thanks for the input.