Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi Light Staying Orange / Unable to enable 5Ghz / Sky Q not finding WiFi

itsjamesy
Hooked

Wifi Light Staying Orange / Unable to enable 5Ghz / Sky Q not finding WiFi

Hi there,

My fibre broadband got enabled this morning. Since then I've been connecting my devices, doing a speedtest etc which is ok and all seems fine minus a few things.

1. The Wifi light on the router is staying Orange/red (The other light solid blue)

I've logged in to the cpanel, nothing seems out of the ordinary. Tried restarting router, and also tried resetting router, to no avail.

2. The 2.5Ghz wifi is the only enabled one by default. When I click enable 5Ghz, the page refreshes and does nothing.

3. My Sky Q box will not find the Wifi, which just seems strange, every other device finds it apart from that. (it's no more than 10 feet away) .. No idea if the above problems relate to this or not..

Any help is appreciated.

The software version at the bottom of the cpanel window is: Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263

Thanks,

James

12 REPLIES 12
TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Re: Wifi Light Staying Orange / Unable to enable 5Ghz / Sky Q not finding WiFi

Hi @itsjamesy,

I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing issues with the connection. I've had a look into this tonight and we can actually see that the connection to the router is repeatedly dropping out, but our line tests aren't able to detect what's causing this to occur. Please could you try setting the router up within the test socket in the property to see if this stabilizes the connection? For reference, we have a guide on how to do this here. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
itsjamesy
Hooked

@TheMightyAJ 

Oh really? I'm surprised to hear there were drops. As the only problems I could see were the orange light staying on continuously and my Sky Q box not finding the WiFi at all which is very very strange when all other devices can.

I've attached a photo showing how the router is connected.

I shall try to find the master socket in the morning if required and comment back here.

itsjamesy
Hooked

@TheMightyAJ 

It does say on the socket it's plugged into that it's the master socket.

I remember having problems a while ago where an engineer had to come out and they fitted that new socket interface but that's about it.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

But it is not the test socket - unclip cover to reveal the test socket, and use a dangly filter to plug the router in - those faceplates have been known to cause problems.

itsjamesy
Hooked

@TheMightyAJ @Mustrum 

I have plugged the router into the test socket this morning. Still a blue light bar, with orange WiFi symbol. Still getting internet on all devices and unable to enable 5ghz. The Sky Q box will still not find the WiFi (it's not an issue with the sky box, as don't other tests).

Don't know where to go from here.

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hiya @itsjamesy, I am really sorry for the issues being experienced with your router and service. Thanks for connecting to the test socket.

There looks to have been a few drops since. Whilst I understand the router is new, given the drops you are having along with the issues with the routers WiFi, I have ordered a replacement router for you so we can rule yours out as faulty.

Once the new router arrives, please get this connected and let us know how you get on.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
itsjamesy
Hooked

@LaurenB 

Thank you for looking into this for me.

I shall report back when I try out the new router. I appreciate it.

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

No worries! I'm really sorry for the inconvenience caused in the meantime.

Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
itsjamesy
Hooked

@LaurenB 

Do I have any tracking information for the new router?

It's still not with me, and I've been without Sky in my other rooms for multiple days now, I've also not been able to use any of my printers as they won't find the WiFi either due to the issue.

Thanks,

James

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Hiya @itsjamesy, thanks for getting back to us. I'm sorry that the router hasn't arrived yet.

Whilst it's not something that can be tracked on your side, I can see that this was dispatched 2 days ago so should hopefully be with you in the next couple of days. I'm sorry for the inconvenience caused in the meantime.

Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
itsjamesy
Hooked

@LaurenB 

Update: still no router as of right now.

This is completely unacceptable. I have been without TV around my home, no access to printers for work, or other work related devices.

To be given a faulty piece of equipment, then a replacement which isn't here after this length of time doesn't seem right at all.

I would like some sort of compensation for this so far. Not to mention I don't even know if the new router will solve the issues.

I have hopes this can easily resolved, but thus far it's very hard to see.

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Hiya @itsjamesy, I am sorry that the router hasn't yet arrived. It was dispatched on the 27th from the warehouse but we aren't able to track the order from that point. If this hasn't arrived by tomorrows post, can you please get back to us and we will look to get you another one ordered, just in case this one has got lost.

Given the issues you have advised (unable to enable the 5GHz) it does sound like there is some issue with the router but of course there is no guarantee. I am truly sorry for the issues you are having and once you are up and running as expected, we would be happy to look at a gesture of goodwill for the inconvenience caused.

Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team