cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi Keeps dropping out but cable connection ok

pod666

Wifi Keeps dropping out but cable connection ok

My wifi signal keeps dropping out for phone (different makes of phone as well) and alos wifi laptops this has only started over the past month after years of good performance
The router is

Product name: Plusnet Router
2 - Serial number: N7151231M000620 
3 - Firmware version: 7.275.11_F2704N_Plusnet
4 - Board version: F@ST2704N
5 - Mode Fibre

we have wifi extenders again they are unchanged and even next to the router the signal drops out

Can you help please

4 REPLIES 4
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: Wifi Keeps dropping out but cable connection ok

Hi there,

Sorry to see your wireless connection is dropping.

I'd recommend carrying out the steps explained here: https://community.plus.net/t5/Plusnet-Blogs/How-to-boost-your-wi-fi/ba-p/1450193 next to change the wireless channel in your router settings as it may be on a 'congested' channel in use by other wireless networks nearby. 

Let us know how you get on. Smiley

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
pod666

Channel changed appears to have worked

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Glad to hear that! Thumbs_Up

Let us know if there's anything else you'd need help with.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

@Gandalf wrote: as it may be on a 'congested' channel in use by other wireless networks nearby. 

I do sometimes wonder how the BT hubs decide on which channel to use. I don't actually use a hub but I was checking the other day to see whether the channel I was on was still mainly free of the other 25 WiFi routers around. Staggering to see 9 of my neighbours (all with BT in the ID) all spread nigh on top of one another, gathered around channel 6. Meanwhile on the 5.0Ghz side it gets worse with no one (except me) using a channel number higher than 48. Maybe congested and the Hub go together. 🙂

I assume at some point they do shift but when that point is reached presumably only BT know.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?