Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi Issues

BigBadJohn1887
Dabbler

Wifi Issues

Hi

I've read a few posts on here but not found the solution to my problem yet.  I've had Plusnet broadband for about two weeks now and ever since the switch we've had issues with Wifi.  I've split the 2.5 and 5 Ghz channels and named them differently to see if it helped but it hasn't really.  My 5Ghz signal is not as strong as the 2.4 and seems to just disappear entirely for short periods of time so I've mostly stopped using it.  The 2.4 behavior is very odd.  It is particularly noticeable on my son's kindle fire tablets.  The tablet will show a full wifi signal but the internet will not work either in the web browser or in applications, reporting that it cannot reach the internet.  Sometimes after a few minutes it will just start working and others we have to reboot the router to get it back. 

Similar issues happen with my iPhone and my wife's iPhone.  They will both show as having a good wifi signal yet are unable to load web pages or use internet connected applications.  I've used a wifi scanner and it reports that I'm using a good channel.  The light on the router is always blue when we experience these issues, which happen quite regularly first thing in the morning and at other times of the day.

Any suggestions as to what I can do to resolve this?  Worth noting that I did not experience these issues with BT, my previous provider so I don't think it is the house or the router location.

Thanks

John

36 REPLIES 36
Marksfish
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Wifi Issues

I would suggest signing up to Thinkbroadband and get a line monitor. My router used to drop the wifi connection for a couple of hours, but the wired connection would stay live, so when I queried it on here, there was no connection drops. The monitor at this time would show !00% packet loss. I had a new router sent to me which seemed to solve the issue, but I have since swapped out to a non PN router.

Mark

Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

PN Hub One router known to be poor wifi performer- reconfigure the one you

had previously to PN, or buy new one. Smiley

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Sorry to hear you're having issues with the wireless signal John.

If you still have your BT router it may be worth checking what channel it was using and setting the Hub One to use that same channel, or configuring your BT router to work with your Plusnet connection.

Have you also tried a factory reset of your router using the pinhole at the back?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
BigBadJohn1887
Dabbler

Hi all

Thanks for the comments.

I will take a look at the Thinkbroadband line monitor, although that will mean running a laptop all day to keep the monitor active from what I can understand.
Unfortunately I have sent the old BT router back to BT as they asked for it and I didn't realise the Plusnet one was no good.  I have not tried a factory reset purely because all I have changed is the wi-fi password and splitting the two networks, but I will definitely give it a go.

This morning was the worst experience yet.  My iPhone would not find the wi-fi printer I was trying to print from so I tried resetting the router.  After that I kept getting told the wi-fi password was wrong and it simply would not allow me back on to either the 2.5 or 5 networks.  I restarted the router again and it eventually let me back on again but would not connect to the internet - despite the router light being blue.  I tried again a bit later and it is working properly again.

Really frustrated now.  The wife is kicking off about how rubbish Plusnet are and how I should never have changed!

Marksfish
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

@BigBadJohn1887 wrote:

Hi all

Thanks for the comments.

I will take a look at the Thinkbroadband line monitor, although that will mean running a laptop all day to keep the monitor active from what I can understand.

No, laptop doesn't need to be on as the monitor pings the router. This reminds me though, that as the BT and PN routers block ping, you will need to put something in the DMZ, I used a Now TV box, but something similar should work fine.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@BigBadJohn1887, I've just pushed a software update to your router that I suspect will fix this issue. Can you keep an eye on things and let me know how you get on?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

BigBadJohn1887
Dabbler

Thanks @bobpullen I will certainly do that

BigBadJohn1887
Dabbler

Hi @bobpullen

My wife just reported that the Wi-Fi is still working intermittently Sad

Anything else to suggest?

Thanks

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

What I've done won't help the 5GHz situation. Be mindful that whilst 5GHz is faster at close range, it is nowhere near as effective as 2.4GHz the further from the router you get.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

BigBadJohn1887
Dabbler

Sadly the problems last night were on the 2.4GHz.  However, I spent some more time running the Wi-Fi analyser app last night and ended up moving channels from channel 1 to channel 11 as it suggested it was better - it seems to change it's mind a lot.  I used the program for a couple of hours and it kept suggesting I switched between channel 6 and channel 11 and back again.  The reason appeared to be that a neighbour's network kept popping up on channel 11 and then disappearing again.  So far it seems to have been stable with no problems connecting this morning.    I did also extend the lease period last night to the maximum as I kept seeing wi-fi registration failed in the logs.  I will monitor over the next few days and report back.  I've given up on the 5GHz as like you suggested it is only reliable near the router and the signal drops significantly as you move away.

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Thanks for the update, @BigBadJohn1887

Let us know how you get on.

Best wishes

Dave

BigBadJohn1887
Dabbler

So I’m back I’m afraid. Things improved for a while but now I seem to be back to square one. Wi-fi has started displaying the same issues once again. Wi-fi analyser says channel 6 is fine but after a few seconds it says there are better ones. If I switch to one of those it again says I’m on a great channel for a few seconds before saying that 6 is better. This cycle repeats over and over. I just don’t know what else to try. We never had these problems with BT ands I’m so annoyed I sent their router back now!  My son keeps getting this problem where he will be watching you tube on his tablet and it will start playing a video then buffer then play a tiny bit more followed by more buffering. Anything else I can try?

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Despite WiFi analyzer showing intermittently that channel 6 is hte best one to connect to have you left it on that channel for a while and if so did you notice any changes?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
BigBadJohn1887
Dabbler

Hi Adam

Channel 6 is the one we have been on for a few weeks until the issues started again.  I reverted back to channel 6 last night as it has been the most stable for us.  However, I am expecting more problems later when my son gets home from school and uses his tablet.