cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi - I don't have any since joining Plusnet!

kbryant
Grafter

Wifi - I don't have any since joining Plusnet!

I'm a brand new customer to Plusnet since 2 weeks ago.

I joined with the top Fibre Broadband and Phone package, but to date I am paying  charges but with no access to Wifi what so ever.

I have spoken to Plusnet on 3 occasions now and although staff are very helpful they are yet to rectify the issue or offer a date it will be fixed.

On my last lengthy chat, where I tested various things for them for over an hour,  they admitted it was a known fault with the upgraded firmware on the PlusNet One Modem and basically evidence was being collected to show that the latest firmware was causing issues with Wifi for some customers.

I understand that, however I have only just joined, moving from a company where everything worked and paying PlusNet upfront, yet I am left with a service which doesn't work. 

There has been no communication from them to me, only me to them when chasing what is happening and quite frankly my patience is wearing a little thin now, 2 weeks on and no update, no sign of a fix date and still no access to Wifi.

I have been as helpful as I can when asked the question 'could an engineer visit my house to do testing, could they contact me to test, could I downgrade firmware'  - all of these things I answered yes to and still I have heard nothing.

I am seriously considering cancelling now and moving back to my previous provider - as I am paying for a service I am not receiving.  Although I'm sure at this point PlusNet will try and charge me various exit fees (yet its fine for me to pay for a service I am not receiving)

Thought I'd try this forum to see if anyone can offer and advice or update on this problem please.....

Thanks

55 REPLIES 55
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: Wifi - I don't have any since joining Plusnet!

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Fibre to My Router

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

@kbryant 

Welcome to the forum.

No doubt a Plusnet staffer will come along and help with pushing an earlier firmware to your router. However I have not read any posts before where the current firmware stops all wifi on both bands.

Without knowing what Plusnet have already suggested it's a little difficult to advise but

1. Have you checked if you have internet when connecting over an Ethernet cable?

2. Have you checked that the router is actually transmitting? Is it switched on in the router settings? You can check if it's transmitting if you download a free wifi sniffer app. I use Wifi Analyser on an Android phone.

3. Have you tried splitting the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands and trying each?

It could be that rather than firmware the router is faulty.

Unfortunately Plusnet will not allow you to cancel penalty free is it's only a wireless problem.

Please let us know how you get on and if your problem is not resolved give us a few more details on tests to date.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

kbryant
Grafter

Hi

Thanks for your reply..

1. Yes tested via Ethernet cable, all fine with that and modem box all ok, blue light etc. Just the wifi which isn't working.

2. Nope haven't done this, but if no. 1 is ok I guess it is.

3. Yes PlusNet got me doing this, whilst connected via Ethernet cable, tried both options with no success.

have also done the standard, switching on and off, removing it from memory on devices and starting again, have reset the modem 3 times with pin etc. all with no success.

JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

@kbryant,

I'm sorry you're having issues here. As Baldrick has advised I'm also not aware of a firmware version that is preventing any connectivity from all devices. I've had a look at your account, and while there is clearly a report that an agent on Saturday has passed this on to our products team but they haven't updated re the outcome (@bobpullen will be able to advise best if he's received anything).

I'd like to get some information from you if possible? You might have already have provided this previously but as the full conversation isn't listed on the account it would be easy to reconfirm it again here. 

Can you confirm the firmware version on your router (browse to 192.168.1.254 and scroll to the bottom of the page).

Can you list a few of the devices that are connecting wirelessly (device name, model and OS if possible, please). 

Baldrick1

@kbryant 

It's probaby a red herring but if you go into the advanced wireless settings page where you split the bands I believe that you will find the option to switch off the wireless bands. As far as I am aware, I don't use a Plusnet router to check, this will not affect the blue broadband connected light.

Moderator and Customer

kbryant
Grafter

Yeah did give them all this already (pity they didnt add this to my file - i've also been told twice now that it would go to faults team who would contact me)
Firmware: 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 last updated 12.6.19

Devices: apple ipad mini, samsung android phone, samsung RVS20 laptop, work laptop Lenova. All previously worked fine with wifi connection
RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

Hi @kbryant,

Just a thought it might be possible to use your previous ISPs router to conncet to Plusnet.

If the previous ISP was BT, then then the HomeHubs can 100% be configured to work on Plusnet.

If it was not BT then other routers can usually be configured to act as a WiFi access point working with the PN router.

If you can advise what "old" router you have, as a collective I am sure we can help you get some WiFi working.

Regards

Richard

kbryant
Grafter

Hi ya
No i dont have it anymore unfortunately, i got rid on day 1 Sad

(Replies my be slow now - Limited access to reply now as data allowance on phone run out - so unless i connect ethernet cable im not connected now, will log on at work later - sorry)
EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @kbryant,

Thank you for confirming the firmware version. I'm very sorry that this wasn't noted on your account and that you've not received an update from the faults team. I'll pass on feedback about this.

I can confirm that the router is on the latest firmware version and that there are no known issues with this causing a complete loss of WiFi. As this is the case, it appears that the router may be faulty. I've sent you another to try and it'll be with you within 3-5 working days. Please let us know if you continue to experience any connection problems with the new router.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
kbryant
Grafter

Ok thank you
Fingers crossed.
kbryant
Grafter

Ok thank you. Fingers crossed
abails0105
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 60

Just let us know if you still experience any issues when you have received the new hardware @kbryant

Regards

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alice Baillie
 Plusnet Help Team
kbryant
Grafter

Morning!
New modem arrived yesterday, postman refuses to put thrgh letterbox, so collected and installed today.
Exactly the same - i took my time, waited, followed word for word instructions. No wifi. Tried separately on different devices no wifi on any.
Next option?
Baldrick1

@kbryant 

i assume that you have gone into the settings of each of your devices, done a search for available wireless devices, selected the SSID for your new router and input the new password from the label on the rear of the new router?

Moderator and Customer