cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi won’t connect on+ off and WiFi slow often

Frenchie19

WiFi won’t connect on+ off and WiFi slow often

Problem last couple of weeks with not being able to connect laptop to WiFi but other devices ( sons PC, his phone + my phone )in house are connected? Plusnet say it’s issues with laptop, it’s brand new laptop though, what could be issue? My son also says internet is super slow most nights when he’s on PC so surely there is something not right??But when I last called them about laptop not connecting they said all is fine their end??? Help please 🙏
7 REPLIES 7
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Re: WiFi won’t connect on+ off and WiFi slow often

@Frenchie19 

It sounds like your broadband connection is OK but you have a wifi problem, hence the Plusnet response. Starting from the beginning can you advise which Plusnet Hub you have so that we can give further advice. I expect that a Mod will move this post to the more appropriate board.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

As @Baldrick1 says, really need to know what router you have before you can go much further. It might be your  laptop is set for 5Ghz and you don't have that band set up for use. It could even be something simple as log in details. First thing I would do is check what sort of speeds you are getting at the master test socket via a wired connection (bearing in mind the slow speeds mentioned). If that is as expected then time to move onto the WiFi. 

As for son saying internet is slow, depends on what sort of incoming speeds you have and what is happening at the time. If you don't know what sort of speeds you should have, go to here (BT wholesale).

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Moderators Note
This topic has been moved from General Chat to My Router.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Frenchie19

I have Hub zero.
Frenchie19

It’s a hub zero
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

@Frenchie19 

The Hub Zero WiFi is pretty dire but it should at least connect. What speed should you be getting? See https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

Have you tried moving closer to the Hub. Note that this Hub only works on the 2.4 GHz band and is very bad at handling downloads if something else is uploading at the same time.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Frenchie19

I get 0.89 megabits per second, 9.50 mbps download.
No one was else was doing downloads at same time and yes I was right beside hub too when it wouldn’t connect before.