cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi speeds fluctuating wildly.

gbyng
Hooked

WiFi speeds fluctuating wildly.

Last few months my WiFi speeds have got steadily more unpredictable.

Ethernet cable connections are perfect (always a solid 50Mbps) but speeds on our phones & laptops on wifi vary wildly from 45Mbps to 0.5Mbps. Generally hovering around 5Mbps at the moment.

I have tried all the usual things to eliminate wifi interference as a cause:

1. Split the 5ghz and 2.4ghz networks

2. Tried all different channels - I have WIFIAnalyser app on my phone and have selected manually but none seem to make any difference.  Standing right next to the router there are literally no other networks showing on the app but still getting slow speeds on my phone & laptop.

3. Got a wifi extender (made no difference - my phone & laptop say the signal is strong wherever I am in the house).

4. Tried a new router - Plusnet sent me a replacement HubOne but this didn't help.  Previous to this I had tried a TP-Link TD-W9970 300Mbps Wireless Modem Router but I seem to remember the same issues with that.

I realise that microwave ovens and other appliances can cause interference but surely standing right next to the router (and seeing a strong wifi signal) should eliminate that as being the cause.

Maybe I should try powering off absolutely everything in the house & switching them on one at a time?

Any ideas?

Tags (3)
14 REPLIES 14
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: WiFi speeds fluctuating wildly.

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Fibre to My Router

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Baldrick1
Fixes: 414

@gbyng  Welcome to the forum.

Switching everything else off is a good starting point. Also try moving the hub to a different position.

The problem with WiFi analysers is that they only detect WiFi data channels, they don’t ‘see’ other transmissions from remote controls toys and other radio controlled ‘things’.

What is really needed is a Spectrum Analyser and they cost big bucks.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

gbyng
Hooked

Thanks @Baldrick1 Yeah, a spectrum analyser app on my phone would be fantastic though, wouldn't it 😁

I don't think it can be a problem with the router positioning because when I'm getting full speed it works solidly all round the house. And when it does slow right down it's the same even if I'm sat right next to the router.

There are no other electricals anywhere near to the router (other than a desk lamp and our landline phone - and, yes, I have unplugged those - made no difference).

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Hi @gbyng

Thanks for contacting us about your Wi-Fi, check out the help and support page here https://community.plus.net/t5/Plusnet-Blogs/How-to-boost-your-wi-fi/ba-p/1450193

-Adam - Plusnet Leeds

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
Baldrick1
Fixes: 414

@gbyng 

Are you sure that the fault follows the hub and not the power supply?

When you had the replacement hub did you use the same power supply

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

gbyng
Hooked

Yeah, I swapped everything - new power supply & new cables. Surely, if it was faulty power supply or cable it would be bad all the time. Yesterday evening I was getting 48Mbps on my phone (a long way from the router) 5 minutes later it's down to 2Mbps (even right next to the router).
TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @gbyng,

Along that line of troubleshooting, when you swapped out the power supply, did you also make sure to connect the router to an alternative electrical socket? 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
gbyng
Hooked

Yes. I've managed to get the power cable to test in 3 different sockets but the same result. Troubleshooting today with 2 laptops and 2 mobile phones connected to WiFi right next to the router. Strangely sometimes when two laptops and 1 phone were slow, the other phone was fast.
TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks for clarifying this. Having tested your line this afternoon, everything is performing as we'd expect it to. In terms of improving the Wi-Fi experience I'd refer back to the guide posted by my colleague above and I'd also recommend connecting via Ethernet cable where you can, in order to get the most out of the service.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
gbyng
Hooked

I've tried all the suggestions in that guide (and more) but still getting the same fluctuations.  I've purchased a wireless extender and tried two different routers but still the same.  Running out of ideas now.  I realise that I can connect with a cable and get full speeds but as you can imagine, most of our internet use is via phone.  I'm reluctant to think it's interference because when it's at it slowest nothing improves the speed - not even being right next to the router.  We've tried several positions for the router and it's currently on the landing, on a shelf and away from any other neighbours routers.  When I use the WiFi Analyser app on my phone the only signal is ours and the signal strength is very strong - up in the -25dBm range. There are no other electrical appliances anywhere near and (when I'm testing) no other devices on the network.

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I'm sorry to hear that's the case. The next time you notice the speed fluctuate, please could you setup a laptop or PC to the router via Ethernet and run a speedtest to see what the results come back as?

Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
gbyng
Hooked

@TheMightyAJ  -  I'm pretty sure I've done that in the past and it's been full speed (around 50Mbps) but I'll double check again next time I get chance.

johnmilbank
Hooked

I have discovered that moving my router a small distance can make a big difference to the speed of my connection. My router is downstairs and to the front of the house. The computer is upstairs and to the rear.  I understand that the signal may scatter on metal objects (sofa bed). The result is that the signals travel by several different routes which affect the phase on arrival at destination. This limits the data transfer rate.

I have tried using a TP - Link AV600 Powerline Starter Kit and it does work. The data are transferred via the house wiring and I get very good speeds. Unfortunately the kit can cause the wireless network to lock up. When that happens I unpower these devices at both ends (router and computer) then restart the router.

Right now I am back to using the Wireless link now that I have found a good position for the router.

I suggest you experiment by moving the router. I only had to move mine by less that half a metre.

gbyng
Hooked

I've tried all this before (read my previous posts) - Moving my router around doesn't make any improvement.  Signal is strong and there is no interference from other signals (see screenshot) 90% of the time the speed is fine but then it will suddenly drop to 0.5 to 1Mbps for no apparent reason (even right next to the router).  The screenshow was taken when speed dropped to 0.5 to 1Mbps and this didn't improve by moving the router or standing right next to it.  Hardwired connections are not affected.