cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi slow/dropping out

PoppaSmurf
Hooked

WiFi slow/dropping out

Can someone please help? After just spending 2 months re wiring everything to do with my internet. I still have shocking low speeds on WiFi and drop outs.

I have the hub one, have tried changing to different channels. Separating 2.4 from 5ghz but still have this problem.

No speed issues on wired connections for the first time since I joined.
17 REPLIES 17
quickwillow2

Re: WiFi slow/dropping out

I had the same problem for months, after several phone calls to Plusnet with the same suggestions of changing channels, and various tweaking I still had the same problem, I decided to buy a much better after market router and my problem disappeared. 

PoppaSmurf
Hooked

@quickwillow2 Yes going to do as you suggested, it’s the only thing left to try. 

DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

Welcome both @PoppaSmurf and @quickwillow2 

PoppaSmurf, as you have a plusnet hub one and you've tried manually selecting channels and also splitting the wifi channels, yet the issue remains, could you please post up the software of the hub one and the date it was installed. To do this, click this link - http://192.168.1.254 and scroll to the bottom of the page.

My guess is the software ends in 263.

quickwillow, do you remember what your software version was? If it also ends in 263 then this might have answered why the wifi was not performing as it should.

quickwillow2

No sorry I don't know, I gave up with the support team suggested fixes and replaced the router with a Netgear one  

DS
Seasoned Champion

Ok, no problem. Thanks for letting me know quickwillow2 Smiley

PoppaSmurf
Hooked

Yes my software version is 263 last updated 006/03/19
DS
Seasoned Champion

Thanks for clarifying @PoppaSmurf Smiley

Do you think the problems with the wifi started on or after the 06/03?

If so, could you please fill out the following Plusnet questionnaire?

This will help with our investigations and hopefully allow us to replicate the problem in a lab environment -

1. Exactly how does the problem masquerade itself, what are the symptoms?

2. When did the problem start?

3. What firmware version is customer running and when was it last updated?

4. What devices does the customer have on their network and how are they connected, eg. wired or wireless?

5. How is the customer's network configured i.e. any Powerline adapters, additional switches, attached storage or or wi-fi access points in use?

6. What devices does the problem affect and what software/firmware versions are they running (if known). This will help us try and replicate the issue in a lab environment.

7. Are the 2.4GHz/5GHz radios separated or merged (they're merged by default). If separated, which radio is affected (or is it both)?

8. Has the customer tried factory resetting? (if not, please ask them to try this)

9. Would customer be willing to downgrade firmware if we need to in order to help diagnose the issue. Bear in mind this will wipe all of the settings back to factory defaults, and we may need to upgrade/downgrade a second time to further prove that it's the firmware that's the cause of the issue.

I know the above is asking a lot of you, but this is being asked by Plusnet themselves.

As a short term workaround for the wifi issues, I initially offered this and several other users have tried it with success, so I would suggest you try the following:

Click the following http://192.168.1.254/index.cgi?active_page=9105

On the wireless network enable, instead of the default of yes, select no and click apply

(ignore the warning messages, it's normal)

This will turn off the 5GHz and put a red light on the router, ignore this or put tape over it, then see if the wifi works

This isn't a fix, just a temp measure to see if it improves.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi @PoppaSmurf 

I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing problems with your wireless signal.

Can you try the steps @DS has suggested letting us know how it goes?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
PoppaSmurf
Hooked

@DS @Gandalf  ok tried everything listed except rolling back the firmware which it came installed with.

nothing has changed getting on avarage 16mps down and 18.4 up, the wifi is even worse.

I called customer servises who cannot be bothered insted quoted that there terms and conditions state the do not guarantee that there supplied equipment will work or that the wifi signal will be sent from said device.

really beging to think this is a scam company as they followed it up with threats of £285.00 cancelation fee's....

is there any other router i can use if so can someone please advise make and model before this escalates to solicitors involvement to get rid.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from ADSL Broadband to My Router

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
DS
Seasoned Champion

The downgrade is only being done for those users whom want to carry on assisting Plusnet in their ongoing investigations. There were some users whom were lucky and had a downgrade as the 'solution' for this issue. I'm just passing that on.

I now think you may have more than just wifi issues, as in your first post you mentioned that you had no speed issues on wired connections, now you've mentioned that you're getting on avarage 16mps down and 18.4 up and the wifi is even worse.

If those speeds are via a directly connected ethernet device, then this needs addressing too.

I'm a bit cheesed off at the response from the call centre if I'm being honest, more so as I keep banging my head against a brick wall as I keep asking Plusnet to let their call centre staff know some users are having issues since the software upgrade. I give up!!

Please try turning off the 5GHz SSID as a short term 'fix' and see if the wifi works again (clearly it will only be on the 2.4GHz SSID.

Or do as some of us are now having to do - Go on ebay and buy a FTTC BT Smart Hub 6 for around £20, ideally a brand new one. Do not buy a FTTP version. If you want to, by all means look for one and pop the item number up and I'll let you know if the one you're looking at is the right one before you buy it. Another forum user has posted the instructions for connecting one on to the Plusnet network.

PoppaSmurf
Hooked

@DS Found this brand new BT hub 6 on eBay 173911924892 is this the type?

DS
Seasoned Champion

@PoppaSmurf that item number isn't showing any results Huh

Can you either double check the number or better still post up the ebay URL?

PoppaSmurf
Hooked