cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi signal

Sheepish

WiFi signal

I have unlimited fibre service, a Plusnet hub one router with the WiFi frequencies on separate networks and a terrible WiFi range in an open plan small house. I have also tried changing the WiFi channels repeatedly with no effect.  This issue has steadily got worse over time and is now making the service unusable.

I have an iPad 2 air, an iPhone 7 - all on 14.2 firmware and a Samsung A5 phone, all these devices show the same range issues. I am also using an Amazon Fire stick for the TV which has buffering issues.

I am being told by Plusnet support to buy a TP link AC750 router because their Hub one is “weak on range especially with Apple devices”.  I am not so happy with this idea as the Plusnet router I have was supplied as a part of the contract for the service so why is it now not suitable?

The Plusnet router also finds a “phantom” network which doesn’t currently exist and factory resetting the router multiple times fails to remove it.

Open reach changed the master socket today (which is the only one in the house) and this has made no difference I can detect yet.

Has anyone else had similar problems and did the TP Link router solve them?

8 REPLIES 8
Mav
Fixes: 515

Re: WiFi signal

Moderator's note(s):

Thread moved from Fibre Broadband to My Router.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@Sheepish wrote:

The Plusnet router also finds a “phantom” network which doesn’t currently exist and factory resetting the router multiple times fails to remove it.

This has piqued my curiosity. Can you explain what you mean?

And are you using Powerline adapters on your network?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Sheepish

Hi Bobpullen

The phantom network seems to be a hangover from when I had Plusnet originally and the two WiFi frequencies were not separated.
 This third network I can see on my devices, both apple and android does not exist in the router, hence my use of the word phantom.  I have factory reset the router at least three times and tried to get the devices to forget the phantom network but it’s like a zombie you cannot kill. 😬

I have now purchased a BT HH6 router to try in the place of the Plusnet hub one as I am tired of wasting my life trying to make it work properly.  The recommendation from Plusnet customer service was the TP link device or a mid range netgear router, whatever that is?

The sad fact is that the customer services people are always pleasant, cheerful and helpful but they cannot address the elephant in the room which seems to be the dodgy router.  I guess if it’s in an ideal situation then it works but that doesn’t happen so often perhaps judging by all the bad words written about it.

At least Plusnet seem to be free from big data leaks unlike talk talk, who I was with before and I am still suffering the spam fall out three years later.

if you are still interested I will post my findings with the new BT router when I get it set up.  There seems to be plenty of good advice here, including yours, as to what works for the settings.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

The router is only going to have been broadcasting a maximum of two SSID's, so if your devices were seeing another, then something else was at play.

Either stale information stored on the devices themselves - or the network of a neighbouring router somewhere.

Not looking for any specific feedback concerning the BT hub.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Sheepish

Hi Bob

I’m totally puzzled by the phantom SSID, my devices won’t forget it and won’t log on to it either but they consistently find it especially when the WiFi range is running short in my house.  As far as I know no close neighbours have plusnet and there is no one with the same surname which I used as a part of my now phantom SSID.

I am hoping a different router will cure the problem because I just want to use the WiFi network rather than keep trying to reset it.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

@Sheepish 

I might have a similar effect in that I have a 'phantom' SSID that transmits on the same channel as my hub and follows it if I change channels.

I have run this to earth as my solar PV inverter. This operates as both a client on my hub but it also has its own built in server for use by service engineers. As ther's no traffic on this it doesn't affect performance.

It migh just be worth you going around switching off all your devices in turn to see if it disapears, if so you have found the source.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

Hi @Sheepish 

I suspect @Baldrick1 prognosis is correct as I have a Ruko box which has a Wi-Fi access point that only the remote control can use. It also uses the same channel as the Wi-Fi router.

"my devices won’t forget it and won’t log on to it either"

The forget option is to stop the device logging on to the network the device has previously connected to, not to remove it from the available network list.

Dan.

Sheepish

Problem solved.

The poor WiFi range issue has been solved by using a BT HH6 router from the bay of e for the sum of £15😁.  This was a really easy setup job thanks to the great instructions on this forum.

The phantom network turned out to be a forgotten WiFi access point plugged in in a cupboard and switched on  doing nothing apart from creating a problem.😬

Using the new router over the last few days has made me realise just how pants the Plusnet hub one was and I’m not sorry to see it switched off.

My thanks to everyone who replied to this thread and to iBaldrick for the great setup instructions for a BT HH6.