cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi signal getting worse. Will an extender fix it? And if so, which one?

stmarymead

WiFi signal getting worse. Will an extender fix it? And if so, which one?

Hello,

I wonder whether you can help me? The WiFi signal around our house is poor and is getting worse by the day.

Devices constantly drop out, and unless you're in the same room as the router doing anything online can be very frustrating. Our Sonos drops out, our TV stops working, I can't use my laptop, my mobile is permanently using data etc etc.

We've got a Hub One and we're on Fibre.

Our WiFi has never been great, but it's becoming untenable. Not sure what's changed, if anything, but more importantly how can we fix it?

Would an extender be the end to our woes? And if so, which one should we buy? From my brief research (I am no techy) it's another piece of kit with an overwhelming amount of features and criteria to consider.

Lastly, having browsed this forum I did investigate changing the channels on our router settings. It's currently working from 'automatic' which I assume (hope) would mean the optimum channel is being used.

Many thanks in advance, and all advice gratefully received.

5 REPLIES 5
maranello
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: WiFi signal getting worse. Will an extender fix it? And if so, which one?

I very much doubt that a WiFi extender will give you much improvement if the router WiFi signal is not good to begin with. From what you describe, it would appear that your Hub One is probably getting on a bit and WiFi is degrading, or possibly your neighbours have better routers with stronger signal which is interfering with your own. Allowing the router to autoselect a channel is not always the best option, as I don't believe the router will dynamically change channel in response to changes in the level of interference from other source.

I recommend using something like WiFi Analyzer app ( or Netgear's Network Diagnotiscs) at various times in the day to find the least congested channels to use, and manually select a channel in your router settings. If you are still having problems a better router, with or without a WiFi extender, would most likely help. If your TV and sonos box allow wired Ethernet connection via homeplugs that would be a better solution but not cure your phone or laptop connections

'

My other car isn't a Ferrari
stmarymead

Thank you very much for your response.

I'm downloading a wifi analyser and I'll see what that says.

You're right, our router is getting on and perhaps seen its best days!

Any routers that anyone might recommend?!

Many thanks

stmarymead

Would the Google Home System be a good idea?

I am browsing routers and am overwhelmed with the choice/ complexity

thanks.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

@stmarymead 

Before contemplating spending money a couple of thins to try. 

Firsr separate the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands see  https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/2-4ghz-and-or-5ghz-best-practice/m-p/1351966#M840  You will now have two wireless channels providing the device supports 5GHz. Go into the wireless network setting on your devices and select each in turn, use the best.

Second when you use WiFi Analyzer check the signal strength both at the router location and where you use your devices. These can vary depending on the location of neighbours routers. You need the best compromise channel.

Personally I’m far from convinced that the wireless transmitter on routers ‘wear out’, there’s normally another reason for degraded wireless performance.

Let us know how you get on.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

pint
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

A few other things can have an effect, even changing lightbulbs ( LEDS/CFLs have driver circuits in and in some casees these can cause interference) heating systems/new heating systems tc etc in your house or even next door