Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi keeps dropping out (Hub Zero)

DeeS
Dabbler

WiFi keeps dropping out (Hub Zero)

Hello,

I've been having issues with my WiFi dropping out. It started with occasional drop every few hours (no trigger that I could identify and no specific time of the day/night) now it's happening every few minutes. All the lights on the router (Hub Zero) stay on when this happens and only one device (the laptop) seems to be affected showing "No internet, connected" message. The situation is so bad now, that I cannot do any work using Plusnet Networks (I have 2). The affected laptop works fine with any other networks that I tried (e.g. at work). And before you ask, my laptop does not have ethernet cable port to check if the issue persist if I use ethernet cable.

Any idea on what's going on and how to resolve this issue?

Thanks in advance

11 REPLIES 11
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: WiFi keeps dropping out (Hub Zero)

How many Wi-Fi devices do you have connected to the hub?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from ADSL Broadband to My Router

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
DeeS
Dabbler

Only 2 or 3 at any given time.

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @DeeS,

I'm sorry to hear this is occurring. Have you recently updated the OS or wireless drivers on your laptop and alternatively, are there any updates that are waiting to be applied? Since this only seems to be affecting the laptop, this unfortunately starts to border on what our regular tech support would cover, however there are other users in the forum and @bobpullen who may be able to shed some light on what the cause of this issue is. Though you've already stated that the laptop doesn't have an Ethernet port, it would be interesting to see if the same issue occurs over a wired connection and it may be worth seeing if you could borrow an Ethernet adapter from a friend or neighbour, or maybe even your employer if this laptop has been supplied by them for work purposes.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
DeeS
Dabbler

Hi @TheMightyAJ 

All drivers are up to date. I will try to source an Ethernet adapter but I'd appreciate any further suggestions if anyone can offer any.

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Thanks for giving it a go @DeeS. It may be worth keeping an eye on things to see if other devices experience similar issues as well as the laptop over the coming days and it may also be worth keeping an eye out for any sort of pattern behind the disconnections. At this stage, any bit of info could be useful in tracking down the true cause of the problem.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
DeeS
Dabbler

I am trying a connection via Ethernet cable today. Initially I thought the connection was more stable however over the course of the day I noted a few episodes when the connection dropped out (for a few seconds only and every time returned without my intervention). All of those episodes seem to happen when I'm attempting to upload files (e.g. when uploading attachments to the email). If I'm in the process of uploading large files my connection speed drops drastically (I cannot even stream a video at times) and other devices are also affected (the connection slows down to unusable). Not sure if that helps in any diagnostics?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks for the detail @DeeS 

Let us know how it goes once you've been able to test things out with your laptop plugged into your router using a cable.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
DeeS
Dabbler

Hi @Gandalf 

Sorry, I wasn't clear - what I described above is what's happening when I'm using a cable.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks for the clarification @DeeS 

What you've described is called bufferbloat that has been known to happen occasionally on the Hub Zero, so I've arranged to send you an upgraded router now you should receive within the next 3 to 5 working days.

Let us know if there are further issues once you've got it. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
DeeS
Dabbler

Many thanks for your help @Gandalf