Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi drops out or goes very slow.

FIXED
GrahamH
Fixes: 1

WiFi drops out or goes very slow.

In the last couple of weeks we've had constant issues with our WiFi'. I have a new laptop and my partner has one around 18mths old and both have similar problems, but not at the same time.

Issue 1

WiFi signal will drop. Sometimes a laptop reboot will fix it but then speed is very slow (1.5 Mbps)

Have to turn off the router and then re-boot it to get the full speed back again.

Issue 2

WiFi signal will drop and then come back (slow speed) when I restart the wifi on my laptop. Running W10 troubleshooter doesn't show any issues on my new laptop.

Issue 3

Partner laptop will drop signal and she can't get it back without restarting her laptop. She does not have the very slow speed when rebooting her laptop. But if she closes the laptop without [-Censored-]ting down, is when the WiFi signal drops.

The router is not in the master socket but plugged into a media plate. The router is no more than 2 m from where we sit.

As I said earlier, this issue has only been happening in the last couple of weeks. Before that we were out of the UK for 6 weeks, but left the router turned on.

It's a starnge problem that maybe points to the router because both laptops are affected intermittently.

Any help would be appreciated

3 REPLIES 3
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: WiFi drops out or goes very slow.

Moderators Note
This topic has been moved from Fibre Broadband to My Router.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

@GrahamH 

The first thing to try is to separate the 2.4 and 5GHz bands see https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/2-4ghz-and-or-5ghz-best-practice/m-p/1351966#M840

Go into your laptop wireless settings and select each band in turn and use the best.

Are you sure that it’s a wireless problem? Do you get a decent connection with an Ethernet cable? If it’s only 2m from the router then that would be my choice of connection.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

GrahamH
Fixes: 1

Fix

I searched the forum yesterday and found the same info that you gave. Thanks for that.

Changed to 5GHz and that seems to have solved the problem.

So far, no dropped WiFi today. Will monitor for a few days.