Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi drops out + MacBook unable to connect to WiFi in one room

FIXED
Emmal
Hooked

WiFi drops out + MacBook unable to connect to WiFi in one room

Hi - we have experienced two problems with our WiFi since we started using PlusNet. Would love some help.

Firstly, WiFi seems to be slow/drop-out on our devices - mostly Apple, but also a PC laptop. Will take ages to load a web page and often get a message saying there’s no connection. Then it will reconnect a second later.

Secondly, we have an older model MacBook Pro that WILL NOT connect to the WiFi in one room of the house- the main room it needs to be used in. While the network shows up as available and with a strong signal when you click connect it asks for the password and then says the password is invalid. As soon as you move into another room it connects straight away without needing to enter the password. Other devices, including an iPad, and two iPhones work fine in that room.

I’ve tried restarting the router, refreshing the channel selection (6) but nothing helps. Didn’t have either of these problems when we were on Virgin. The router is now in the hallway whereas with Virgin it was in the room that the MacBook is used in, so that might have contributed, but it’s only in the hallway directly outside the room! And other devices connect fine!

Also, why the drop-outs in connect? The router is near a cordless phone, but the same applied when we were with Virgin. 

Our YouView boxes are fine as they are connected by Powerline adapters. So it’s definitely a WiFi issue. 

Would really appreciate help!

Thanks

Emma

2 REPLIES 2
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Re: WiFi drops out + MacBook unable to connect to WiFi in one room

Fix

@Emmal 

If you are using a Hub One then try separating the 24 and 5 GHz bands see. https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/2-4ghz-and-or-5ghz-best-practice/m-p/1351966#M840

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Emmal
Hooked

Re: WiFi drops out + MacBook unable to connect to WiFi in one room

Thank you. I’ve now got all the MacBook working on 2.4GHz and everything else on 5GHz and that seems to have got the MacBook working in the room it wouldn’t connect in.

Hopefully now the other devices are on 5GHz we’ll have less slowness/drop-outs. Time will tell!

Thanks again.