cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi dropping out

DeeVee
Hooked

WiFi dropping out

I've had Superfast broadband with a Hub One router since last May. It worked ok until December but then began to lose or fail with wifi connections fairly randomly across different devices at different times  Plus Net replaced the router with another Hub One in late January and it worked fine until about 36 hours ago when the same problem has started and continues.

Customer Support today say its a wifi problem (which I wouldn't disagree with) and suggest the cause might be the number and type of connected devices. It was suggested I try more ethernet cables and boosters. I said there were 10 devices including 2 Smart TVs which I don't think is excessive - its probably lower than average. CS also said Plus Net don't guarantee ANY wifi connection at all - it's a bonus apparently ! I tried switching off wifi on all but one device and used that device right next to the router - same problem persists so it can't be the number of devices connected or the location of the router.

Does anyone have any ideas on a fix for this. It seems to be a common problem looking at other posts.

Also does anyone have any views on PlusNet not guaranteeing ANY wifi connectivity ? I've looked through the legals and cant see anything about this.

17 REPLIES 17
spacecadet
Dabbler

Re: WiFi dropping out

Look for  this in forum Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue         you will find all you need to know we all in the same boat Hub one has the issue nothing to do with what  you got connected to it . Mine worked fine nothing been added to it nothing been removed from it .Plusnet know theres a problem with it but little is getting done about it. I have started using my old Bt hub and everything is fine .  

KatieC
Pro
Fixes: 11

Hi @DeeVee

I am sorry to hear of the problems with your wireless connection.

The information provided by our support team, is somewhat correct. Wifi is a feature within the router and due to the technology of wifi being a signal, its hard for us to guarantee the service, speed or coverage. However, there are things that can be done to try and improve the signal. The 10 devices you do have connected via wireless will weaken the signal, especially if you are using all 10 devices at the same time. It may be worth trying to connect some via a wired connection if possible.

Firstly, I would advise changing the wireless channels and splitting the frequencies. Further information on how to do this can be found here. Changing the channels can be a case of trial and error and won't be an instant fix, but it may help in resolving the connection issues that are being experienced.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Katie C
 Plusnet Help Team
DeeVee
Hooked

Hi Katie,

As I said when we spoke I tried switching off all but one device to test your 'too many devices connected' theory. I found the same problem with just the one device next to the router failing to connect over wifi.

It's clear from other Community pages this is a known issue at Plusnet and there's no mention in these pages about the number of connected devices.

It may well be the case that Plusnet don't guarantee any wifi but in customer relations and retention terms such a stance is disastrous

KatieC
Pro

Thank you for your reply @DeeVee

It's completely up to a customer how many devices they wish to connect to the wifi. However, should you have a number of devices connected and being used at the same time, you can expect the signal to be weak. This is due to the technology that wifi is.

Can you confirm if you have completed the steps set out in our router guides to change the wireless channel and split the frequencies?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Katie C
 Plusnet Help Team
Mook
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 9

Not convinced by that one @KatieC surely the signal strength is the signal strength, regardless of the number of devices there are. Yes there would be a hit on the bandwidth of each device when there are multiple devices active, but not the signal. But I'll stand corrected if needs be.

spacecadet
Dabbler

What a load of tosh. Yet again plusnet wont admit the router is faulty and the paying customer has to try to sort it out. As i have said in previous post we have not added nor taken anything off the network therouter worked perfectly till 6 weeks ago. Maybe time to make complaint to ofcom .
DeeVee
Hooked

@KatieC

I haven't followed the steps you suggested - I've been limping along using 4G on my phone instead.

Interestingly last Thursday the wifi suddenly started behaving 'normally'. I haven't done anything at this end and I've not been advised that Plusnet has done anything at its end either. 

This co-incided with a family member (and laptop) being away. They are returning today so I'm waiting to see whether that affects wifi performance.

NigeBoy
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Hi @DeeVee 

I am having the 5 Ghz WiFi issues as mentioned in the pinned thread on this board.

In my case it is caused when waking a windows 10 PC from sleep mode. The PC is connected via Ethernet but waking it still causes 5 Ghz WiFi to drop and I have to restart the router to get it back.

It will be interesting to see if your problem returns with the laptop (and family member)!

Please let us know.

KatieC
Pro

Thanks for the update @DeeVee sorry for the delay in responding.

Please do let us know the outcome!

Katie C
 Plusnet Help Team
briston
Aspiring Pro

How about explaining the comment about connecting more devices weaken the signal. I know it's wrong, you know it's wrong but it was said. Yes the more devices you have means you are sharing the bandwidth. It's these stupid comments from plusnet that frustrate a customer who has a few brain cells.
However, plusnet have said the hub1 may not be fit for purpose. See the thread.
DeeVee
Hooked

There were one or two issues with my wife's laptop on her return soooo I replaced the Hub One with a Home Hub 6. Cost £20 including next day delivery from 'network-refurbisher' on Ebay. Came with comprehensive instructions on swapping the routers and so far no dropouts. Draw your own conclusions. I'm getting around 35 Mbps over wifi

SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 93

Hello @briston,

I am sorry for any confusion caused, my colleague was using a customer friendly tone and did not want to be to technical. However just to clear this up, when sharing the bandwidth between devices it will lower the speed that device is receiving, which will continue to decrease as more devices are added. This is because the bandwidth is shared between each device equally. 

@DeeVee, I am sorry to hear that, it very much sounds like the router and device do not work together. I will ensure I feed this back to the relevant team.

Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
briston
Aspiring Pro

@SammyM Thank you for your clarification. Because of my background I am used to deal in the phrase bandwidth not speed. I accept that sometimes being too technical is inappropriate but in this case the comments made were, as I said, insulting. Granted the customer facing agent does not know the person they are dealing with but that is a skill the agent needs to have. To negotiate the level at which communication continues.

I have found the bandwidth of the hub1 and determined that it should be capable of serving the number of devices connected. I have to take an educated guess as to what each device might need a 'full belt' so to speak.

The underlying problem with the hub1 seems to be my problem, not it's theoretical capacity. However, compared with more modern devices the hub1 is a bit 'dumb'. More comprehensive routers however cost in the region of £150 upwards and would not expect that to be provided as part of a package. However as a cheeky side, plusnet claim the hub1 is worth £99.99. That is a joke number plucked out of the air for a repackaged throwout from your parent company.

Thanks for you clarification comments and am pleased to say that, although not completely sorted, meaningful progress is being made.
Regards
DeeVee
Hooked

By way of an update the Home hub has been working fine. Not perfect, probably one or two issues since I swapped but at least 95% better than the Hub One.