Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi disconnecting frequently

colh107
Dabbler

WiFi disconnecting frequently

Plusnet Hub One, f/w 4.7.5.1.83.8.259.1.1

The broadband connection seems stable, and Ethernet connections are fine, but in the last month or so (f/w update...?) we've been having frequent disconnects on the WiFi i.e. Client disassociated/associated. Even on devices 20 feet away the other side of a plasterboard wall (~-50dBm).

This is often happening every few minutes. Sometimes it'll work for 15-20 mins, occasionally longer, but often enough to be a 'constant' hassle.

Nothing else shows in the logs at these times except for sometimes DHCP lease renewals.

I've disabled the 5GHz, and tried setting a manual 2.4GHz channel. But manual or 'auto', there's no other router found by WiFi Analyzer within ~20dBm or more.

The time graph of WiFi Analyzer occasionally shows the signal disappearing briefly, corresponding to when the clients get disconnected.

Could the WiFi be faulty? Or is it something about the latest firmware? (The hub was updated Aug 5 and Sep 29).

31 REPLIES 31
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Re: WiFi disconnecting frequently

The .259 and .259.1.1 builds contain a WiFi driver update to satisfy European radio regulation. When I'm back in the office next week, I'll grab some logs from your device and see if we can work out if your problems are related. In the meantime, it would be helpful to know what devices you have connected, and what software versions they're running?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

colh107
Dabbler

Thanks.

I'll try to find out, but they include a few iPhones, HP laptop, Lenovo laptop and Logitech Duet.

Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Download a free app such as inSSIDer; analyse busy wifi channels on both frequencies; choose least
busy. Also ensure both SSID'S for both frequencies have different names.
Any future wifi queries should be posted in correct thread; not this one, rather "MY ROUTER".
colh107
Dabbler

Sorry - didn't spot that forum (I'm new here!)

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Moderator's note:

Topic moved from 'Broadband' to 'My Router'.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@bobpullen wrote:
When I'm back in the office next week, I'll grab some logs from your device and see if we can work out if your problems are related...

I can see five Wi-Fi devices constantly disconnecting/reconnecting. Are there any devices that do manage to stay connected? Can't see anything else in the logs of note, but I'll forward them to somebody better versed for a second opinion.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

colh107
Dabbler

Hi Bob.
A few devices that do seem to have stayed connected ok (over this afternoon, at least): Samsung S6 Edge phone [EC:1F:72:...], Sony TV [70:77:81:...], Samsung Galaxy tablet [20:02:AF:...]. None of them have been changing location, and are all Android-based.....! 
Mind you, the tablet is the device I run WiFi Analyzer on (and which was seeing 'drop outs' of our network)

Is it possible that the clients could be causing the problem? I'm just getting a slight vibe (lengthy and inconvenient to try to prove conclusively) that presence of iPhone(s) and/or our Epson printer has an effect on the stability. Likely...?

Would it possible to push an older version of firmware back onto it, to see if it behaves better?

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@colh107 wrote:

Would it possible to push an older version of firmware back onto it, to see if it behaves better?

Was going to suggest the same.

Let me take a look... 

Edit: out of interest, what version iPhones do you have?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

colh107
Dabbler

Erm, are you trying that now? (Router is un reachable for the last half hour or so, but I don't want to power cycle if you're in the middle of something)

Edit: never mind - think my laptop Eth got confused

colh107
Dabbler

Ah ok - it went back to 192.168.1.X subnet (whereas I use some static addressing, so needed to put the settings back how they were).

Thanks - I see the f/w reverted back. I'll let you know how the Wifi holds up.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Sorry about that, I should have warned you about the loss of settings.

Let me know how you get on.

Word of warning, your device may reboot at around 1.00am each morning as it will see you're on an older firmware build and think the 259.1.1 update needs re-applying (it won't actually apply the update though).

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

colh107
Dabbler

'Fraid to say I don't think that has helped. I haven't noticed total drops in Wifi Analyzer, but we're still seeing periods (in the order of many hours) where there's frequent disassociations even in the early hours of the morning. Though similarly, there may be periods of many hours when it stays stable. See logs for Sat evening and this morning, for example.

I've not spotted any pattern as to when this happens. Unless its due to prescence of iphones (but that could just be my bias!). The iphones are an X, 2x 7, and a 6S.

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @bobpullen

Would you mind revisiting this one?

Best wishes

Dave

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@colh107, you're findings are reassuring in a way, as it means whatever is causing your issue isn't a direct result of the firmware upgrade.

I assume the iOS devices have all recently been upgraded to 12.0.1? Don't suppose that coincides with anything? I suppose you could keep the iPhones off the network for a while to see if other devices continue to experience difficulties; not sure how convenient that is though?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team