cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi connected, no internet regularly

MarkoPN

WiFi connected, no internet regularly

Hi, I've read a thread about this which lays the blame firmly on the hub one but as the diagnostics for that are way beyond me I'm looking for some help.
Problem is as the title suggests, WiFi can be working just fine and then all devices, iPhone, Samsung, Windows laptop will just lose connection. I have stood next to the router, turned WiFi off and on on my phone but it makes no difference despite the the router light being blue.

It only lasts a few minutes and regularly happens around 10pm but also at random times during the day.
PS4 connected by Ethernet is also affected as is smart TV wired into a devolo dlan 500.
Had Virgin run into the street recently and tempted to cut my losses and pay off my PN contract but thought I'd try this as a last resort.

Any thoughts? Has the post I referred too which has some serious tech support input made PN come up with a fix?
4 REPLIES 4
MarkoPN

Re: WiFi connected, no internet regularly

Coincidence? But the minute the PS4 was turned on around 430 today, the connection both WiFi and Ethernet was lost.

When it came back a few minutes later initial speed tests using the PS4 diagnostics showed speeds as low as 6mbps download.

This then increased over the minutes to 66mbps.

That reliability, or lack of it, is the biggest irritation.
islwynll547st
Hooked

I think the general jist of the problem is that PN desperately needs to do a software fix but that is dragging out partly as its not a simple/quick thing to do in part. It essentially means that they do not provide 5 GHz wireless which is pretty bad news. 

As a temporary fix;

You'll need to head to http://192.168.1.254

That'll be your routers admin page, the userid and password are printed on the back of the router. 

Once in - goto Advanced Settings > Wireless > 5 GHz Wireless and select "Wireless network enable: NO" then "Apply" -  your devices should then revert to use the 2.4 GHz Wireless which may be slower. 

Hope that helps

MarkoPN

Thanks for the suggestion, not sure I see how that solves the problem? My wired devices are dropping as well.

Or are you saying the wireless issue is causing the router to crash in some way?
MarkoPN

I've also just checked the router and there's nothing on the 5ghz,. My Sonos beam is showing on the 2.4.