Did you mean: 

WiFi Authentication Error

Optimatts
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 19

Re: WiFi Authentication Error

Hi @Phalanx

Thanks for your continued patience. I've forwarded this onto our products team and asked them to go ahead with the downgrade.

Give it a couple days for them to action this as they might have a backlog of issues due to the bank holiday weekend.

Phalanx
Grafter

If I backup my settings now, can I restore them once the downgrade occurs?

Optimatts
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

@Phalanx that's right. Might be worth doing it at some point this evening if you can just in case they're quick off the mark tomorrow.

DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

@Phalanx wrote:

And

@Optimatts wrote:

that's right. Might be worth doing it at some point this evening if you can just in case they're quick off the mark tomorrow.

And I would have agreed. But two others whom had a downgrade recently reported their restoring from the backup did not work!Shocked

So, it might be worth grabbing the old school method - pen and paper and writing the changes down....

Optimatts
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Cheers @DS Good shout! It never hurts to be cautious should the backup not work.

Fingers crossed it doesn't 👍🏻

the4andersons1
Hooked

I went through to tech help about this, they had me switch off the 2.4 and 5 gig auto and create a new SSID for the 5 gig, 2.4 on channel 13 and the 5 on channel 52 (if I remember) then I re registered all the effected phones and Alexa onto the 5 SSID only, had to get the phones to forget the 2.4 original SSID,  As said the problem is random, so its difficult to say conclusively if its now fixed but so far so good. They did warn me that the 5 connection does have a slightly shorter range.

DS
Seasoned Champion

Aye @Optimatts there's nowt worse than giving out advice for it to cause a product from a chicken to end up on ones face

(or your piccy finishing up on a dartboard!Lips_are_sealedGrin)

Also, thinking again about how I'd go about it, it won't save the changes, but copying each of the hubs page URLs into somewhere like notepad also speeds up the process, should it not restore not work

ie http://192.168.1.254/index.cgi?active_page=9105 shortcuts you to the 5GHz page, where from there splitting or renaming or turning off are available.

stevewx
Grafter

@Phalanx wrote:

And

@Optimatts wrote:

that's right. Might be worth doing it at some point this evening if you can just in case they're quick off the mark tomorrow.

I used MS Snipping tool and cut and pasted every page into a Word doc.  Quicker than pen & paper and less prone to writing the wrong stuff.  Still takes a while, but you also capture stuff you might not think is important now.

I was one of those where the restore failed.  I've got a screenshot of that too...

Steve

DS
Seasoned Champion

I went through to tech help about this, they had me switch off the 2.4 and 5 gig auto and create a new SSID for the 5 gig, 2.4 on channel 13 and the 5 on channel 52 (if I remember)

I'm so confused now. No ones fault but mine. But that's what I do, always. I give mine 2 different SSID's, with the 2.4 on manual channel selection but as not many of my devices here are 5GHz compatible, I leave this auto. I also change the passkey to something of my choice. I also do, which many may not, is turn off WPS

then I re registered all the effected phones and Alexa onto the 5 SSID only, had to get the phones to forget the 2.4 original SSID,

Same here. I forgot all saved networks on all my devices, including via editing the registry, but my issues continued. They only stopped (after using two PNH1s) when I moved to a BTSH6. And my issues (the main ones) didn't start until software 263 was installed. I'm baffled.

As said the problem is random

Ditto, until moving away from their router (on 263)

so its difficult to say conclusively if its now fixed but so far so good. They did warn me that the 5 connection does have a slightly shorter range.

I hope what you've done does fix this, but if things go wrong, even if you don't think it's important, please let us know. And yes 5GHz has a faster connection speed to the router (not necessarily to the www) but 2.4GHz reaches a further distance.

But I also had issues of my phone (being used to test) would remember SSIDs it shouldn't have, but again this was only after 263 was installed.

Phalanx
Grafter

Any word on this? Nothing has been done still.
Jubby
All Star
Fixes: 31

Hello @Phalanx,

I'm afraid the issue is still being investigated and we are providing more examples to our products team as we receive them. If anything changes in the meantime, please let us know.

Thank you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lewis G
 Infrastructure Operations Professional
the4andersons1
Hooked

have to say, a week in and s far no repeat of the authentication error, on either the phones or the Alexa, but still conscious that its early days, but the phones have never lasted this long without giving the authentication error in the last month.
MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Thanks for letting us know @the4andersons1 

Shout up if we can be of any more assistance. 

Kind Regards, 

MoR

DS
Seasoned Champion

My final thoughts on this....

Could this be a router batch issue as some on 263 are having issues and others are not?

(other than that, I'm stumped)

zazoupazou
Hooked

So, I've been really struggling with devices connecting over wifi, or dropping off, over the last couple of months.

Ethernet is no problem and changing channels has had no effect. Other wifi access points - connected over ethernet - working but not great signals in a lot of the house. So definitely not a wifi congestion issue.

After trying several suggestions from PlusNet over the phone - including replacing the router - I have now un-synced and renamed the 5GHz SSID. 

Connections to 2.4GHz now seem to be working fine. So, it seems the problem is only with 5GHz - where I'm getting connections failed or not authenticated all the time.

Very frustrating - don't want to have to splash out on a 3rd party, unsupported router but feel I'm only getting part of the value of my Internet