Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi Authentication Error

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: WiFi Authentication Error

@Phalanx as far as I'm aware we've no update on this yet I'm afraid. While we're working on the issue, it's probably worth noting that WiFi isn't a chargeable service, it's a feature of a free router we'd provide.

Apologies for the inconvenience caused that you can't use the 5GHz at the moment though.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
the4andersons1
Hooked

I had the same issue with the phone dropping its connection, but we also noted a drop in external line speed, being in a village we do not always get the blistering speeds of some bigger towns, but previously BT gave us a stable 35 to 36 mb/s,  I noticed that we were only getting 27 to 28 with plusnet, where they hd promise a min speed of 30.

To cut a long story short, it appears that the plusnet router is a clone of the old BT hub 5, and gives issues with the Huawei street router/furniture cabinets.  so plusnet advised me to go for a BT home hub 6 router. 

Upshot is external speed back to 34 - 35 and importantly the side effect was  2.4 and 5 gig wireless all fixed.

All for £15 which was refunded by plusnet in the form of a discount on my next bill.

note this may only apply if you have the Huawei street router, other wise I expect plusnet will not refund the cost of the BT

hub,  shows this is a plusnet router issue, tech help says plusnet will be supplying their on version of the BT hub 6 soon.(months rather than weeks)

zazoupazou
Hooked

On your website you promote the Hub with the service as: 

Plusnet Hub One

Our fastest ever router - with dual band Wi-Fi for high speed connection router

So, your customers expect to be able to use dual-band

Phalanx
Grafter

Exactly right. Plusnet sold their service to me based on this, so I expect to get what I pay for.
Haydon1

Is there any update on this?

The problem is getting worse and means I'm using tons of mobile data.

The problem shows as an authentication error on Samsung and HP laptop and incorrect password on the iPad.

Whether WiFi is a free feature or not the problem will definitely cost plusnet this customers and I would never recommend them.

Phalanx
Grafter

Totally agree. I'll be moving away once my contract ends at this rate, and I've already told a couple people in conversation about this as well, so not really working out well so far. The second Virgin does my road, I'm out.

stevewx
Grafter

Hello you lot in this thread.

Take a look at this one too.  It's probably the better thread for, 'the problem that does not exist'.

Re: Hub One losing internet connection on 5Ghz WiFi only

Cheers,

Steve

ferranbea

Hi all. Just trying to figure out what's going on with my phone as my data allowance is unusually high and after reading this thread I've concluded I have the same problem. Samsung phone, same router, same firmware version. Can't tell exactly how long it's been happening for but probably months. Is there an official/preferred way of requesting a firmware downgrade from Plusnet?
Thanks!
LordFoul
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 32

Hi @ferranbea,

Thanks for getting in touch, I appreciate your query.

The problem you're experiencing with your Samsung phone appears to be random in that your other devices are working so the likelihood is the issue is related to the handset software or settings rather than the firmware, although I can't confirm this.  

Please have a look at the previous pages on the thread as you may find information that works for your handset.

Before pursuing this further we would ask that you ensure your handset's software is up to date and you have also gone through our troubleshooting guide here. You might also find the channel you're using on the router may need changing, please note this may affect your other devices as well.

The age of your device may also dictate how well it works with the Wi-Fi, as older devices may not work as well.

Thanks - LF

Abigailr92

I have this exact issue too on both of my samsung devices! Please help as very annoying and using up all my data. Thanks in advance.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Thanks for getting in touch @Abigailr92

We're aware of the issue and working on a fix.

In the meantime, we'd recommend splitting the wireless bands as a temporary solution.

I've included instructions on how to do this below

1) In your browser go to 192.168.1.254.
2) Hit Advanced Settings and enter your Hub admin password when prompted (unless you've changed it, you'll find the default password on the settings card)
3) Continue to Advanced Settings.
4) Tap on Wireless.
5) Choose 5GHz tab.
6) Change 'Sync with 2.4Ghz' to No.
7) Change the name of the 'Wireless SSID'
8) Save the changes.

If you're having issues making this change let us know as we can do this for you remotely.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
ferranbea

Hi, the issue is still happening and also on a new Huawei phone. Both phones have their firmware up to date. The workaround I have is to press the reset button on the router but it eventually happens again.
Could you please advise?
Thanks.
SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 93

Hello @ferranbea,

We're aware of the issue and working on a fix.

In the meantime, we'd recommend splitting the wireless bands as a temporary solution.

Can you try the steps above suggested by @ MatthewWheeler and let us know how you get on.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
Aljado

Registered for an account to subscribe to updates on this issue. Poor @Phalanx seems to have been led a right merry dance. This issue appears to have been 'being fixed' all year. Poor.

FWIW, I am going through the same issues. Separated 2.4 and 5Ghz, restarting router much more often that ought to be the case. Come on guys, please do better than this.

Phalanx
Grafter

@Aljado tell me about it! I ended up buying my own router and double-NATing the network to fix it. Luckily I have the knowledge due to my job (IT Consultant), but I shouldn't have to.

My contract is up for renewal next month; you can imagine the thoughts going through my head at the moment.