cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wi-fi vs laptop; frequent dropped connection

Dango

Wi-fi vs laptop; frequent dropped connection

Recently joined plusnet I have installed the new router which is a Sagem Plusnet Hub One CS5001. It connects fine to all devices in the house via wi-fi except my laptop from which the internet disappears at annoyingly frequent intervals. 

There is no problem with the ethernet cable connection to the laptop.

All other devices have stable wi-fi connections. 

This makes me think it is the laptop not the router, especially as Plusnet did send me a replacement to double check this. That said the signal never dropped with my previous router from SSE. 

I have tried changing the wi-fi channel so there is no clash with the neighbours on the same channel but this made no difference. 

Please can anyone advise what to check or change, presumably on the laptop? It is becoming a drag not being able to move further from the router than the length of the ethernet cable...

6 REPLIES 6
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Re: Wi-fi vs laptop; frequent dropped connection

Give a different SSID in router to the 2 different channels.
Or disable 5ghz band, as the other band has better distance performance.
Do either of these help?
If not, try disabling 2.4ghz band, which is the one which is far more crowded, as using
a wifi analyser will confirm eg inSSIDer Smiley
MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @Dango

Welcome to the Forums. 

The steps @Gel suggested would be a very good start to trying to rectify this (thanks Gel). 

Can you give them a go and let us know if it helps? 

If you need assistance on how to do this - take a look here

Let us know how you ou get on,

MoR

Dango

Hi, 

Thanks for your reply, sorry a bit slow in responding, only just got chance... I changed the SSID which was very helpful especially as it highlighted the laptop network adaptor is no good for 5GHz (Broadcom 802.11n). I think the word is 'doh', I guessing thats a newbie thing not to have checked already! Anyway I've moved the 2.4GHz to a quieter channel and turned off the sync with the 5GHz, so fingers crossed..

Cheers.

Dango

Grr, that made no difference. The wi-fi signal is still dropped by the laptop intermittently and frequently. All was fine with my last router so I don't know what is going on. Does anybody?

As all other devices seem fine I presume it must be the laptop which just happened to seize up at the same time as getting a new plusnet router. The laptop has a Broadcom 802.11n network adaptor, should I investigate replacing this?

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hi @Dango.

The best way to rule out whether it is the laptop itself causing the issue, is to try connecting it to another router and see if the drop offs still occur.

Can you try connecting to your old router? Or try connecting it to another WiFi network?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

You could try updating your laptop wireless and possibly other drivers. I have used this in the past with some success. https://www.iobit.com/en/driver-booster.php

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'