cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wi fi extenders

retnartsl

Wi fi extenders

Hi can anyone recommend a hard wired range extender that works with Hub 2 please ?
22 REPLIES 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Wi fi extenders

I use DrayTek VigorAP 902

They are easy to configure, they work well, still get firmware updates, and not too difficult to buy second hand on eBay for less than £30.  If you do buy second hand, make sure you are getting the mains power supply with it, as many sold on eBay were previously used PoE to power them and the associated unused PSU lost.

You probably won't find them 'new',  but if you wanted new then the currently sold range is here - https://www.draytek.co.uk/products/access-points/wifi-access-points 

Baldrick1
Fixes: 425

@retnartsl 

What do you mean by ‘hard wired’? Any make should work, your options https://community.plus.net/t5/Tech-Help-Software-Hardware-etc/Distributing-Data-around-Larger-Proper...

Moderator’s Note

This topic has been moved from Broadband to My Router

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

retnartsl

Hi thank you for your reply I have an office in the garden with a Ethernet cable going to it as wanted to get Wi-Fi there and wondered what extenders are compatible please?
Baldrick1
Fixes: 425

@retnartsl 

Simply do a search for a Wireless Access Point. All will work on the end of your Ethernet cable. After that it is a trade off between features, range and cost.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Champnet
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 13

@retnartsl  Anything else in your garden office ? If so plug your ethernet line into a switch which will give you maximum speed to your computer, TV and anything else that connects to the Wan or your Lan. If you use plan on using mobile devices then add an access point….

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Champnet  that's another reason I choose to use VigorAP 902,  because it's a Wireless Access Point with a built in ethernet switch.  It's also ideal for the 'office in the garden' if there was no electricity in there, as this WAP can be powered PoE over the incoming ethernet cable.

Screenshot 2023-07-23 at 23-01-33 VigorAP 902 Managed 802.11ac Access Point.png

Champnet
Aspiring Hero

Nice kit but a bit expensive.....

Anonymous
Not applicable

Not really, I've got five and each has typically cost me around £30 on eBay for units in immaculate condition.

Champnet
Aspiring Hero

That’s not bad, I looked at retail prices. Are you using any other Draytek kit ?

Anonymous
Not applicable

In the past I've used DrayTek wireless routers to upgrade friends and family's broadband, when they've wanted a one box modem/router/firewall/WiFi solution.

I used to use take on UK holidays, a DrayTek wireless router with an attached USB 3G mobile data dongle to provide a WiFi hotspot (with the same WiFi SSIDs as used at home) - before mobile tethering or MiFi hotspot devices were a thing.

The only other DrayTek device I'm currently using is the  DrayTek Vigor 130  VDSL modem, which is one of the few stand alone modems that allows you to adjust the PPPoE MTU above 1500 to give the full DSL line packet size.

In the coming months I'm planning on migrating my broadband FTTC line to VDSL SOGEA + VoIP,  and at that time I'll upgrade my pfSense router (to something like this) to be future proofed and ready for full fibre in the years ahead.  I'm also likely going to upgrade the modem to the  DrayTek Vigor 166  for the ultimate performance while still on VDSL.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Champnet wrote:

That’s not bad, I looked at retail prices.

This one just sold on eBay for £17.01 plus £9 p&p

Screenshot 2023-07-24 at 19-10-41 DrayTek VigorAP 902 - With PSU eBay.png

Champnet
Aspiring Hero

I did bid on that one, didn't win.......................

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I use DrayTek VigorAP 902 .  ... ... ... they ... still get firmware updates

And as if by magic, DrayTek just released another firmware update for these - https://www.draytek.co.uk/support/downloads/vigor-ap902

PotatoSalad

Just jumping in on this thread rather than creating a new one as it seems that I have a very similar situation.

Recently signed up with Plusnet, and have the Hub 2 on a Full Fibre 145 connection.

I have an ethernet connection and power in my garden office but the Wifi doesn't reach this far. I have 2 laptops and would also like my mobile to be connected to Wifi in the office, so the single ethernet cable doesn't really suffice. 

Been trying to wrap my head around the world of extenders, powerline extenders, access points, mesh networks etc. and am struggling to be honest. Was originally thinking I'd just get a Wifi extender, put it in the house and that should allow it to reach the office (I was previously with Virgin and they were able to provide me with these as part of my package). But it seems like there might be a smarter solution that I could be missing. 

It sounds like your recommendation on the VigorAP 902 could be ideal for me. Do you think that it would do what I'm looking for based on what I've described here? Or is there anything else I should be considering? The powerline extender idea also seemed potentially suitable so I could plug that into the office and get an extension through there. Would really appreciate some input from someone who is more of an expert at this that me. 

Thanks in advance!