cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wi-fi drop out when playing sonos music

Clutch

Wi-fi drop out when playing sonos music

When playing back music to my sonos play 1 the songs keep skipping and jamming and sonos displays unable to connect to WiFi system. When submitting diagnostic data to sonos they advised me to change router to channel 1 but this has not worked. Sonos now trying to say it is a router issue - any ideas and should I buy a newer plusnet router in case it does have a problem 

4 REPLIES 4
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: Wi-fi drop out when playing sonos music

Welcome to the forum.

You haven't told us whether you are on standard broadband or fibre. Also, which router you have. 

Assuming that  you have decent speed when  connected via anEthernet cable and you have been through the normal wireless optimisation checks  https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/getting-the-best-wifi-signal/ Then. it's probably a wireless problem.

if you're on standard broadband then you probably need a router with better wifi performance. Whatever you do don't bother with a Hub Zero from Plusnet. The wireless performance of these is dire. You can get a BT Smarthub 6 from Ebay for around £30 which has far superior wireless performance. You do have to set it up yourself but you will find all the instructions you need on this forum.

If you're on fibre then you should be able to negotiate a Hub One from Plusnet for the P&P charge in exchange for a new contract. The wireless performance of these is not as good as the Smarthub but better that the old single band routers previously supplied by Plusnet.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @Clutch

Thanks for getting in touch.

Not a lot more to add on top of the thorough response from @Baldrick1 other than reiterating the advise to check your speed via a wired connection before you get involved in wifi. If the speed is good via a wired connection, follow through the rest of the steps that @Baldrick1 has advised.

Best wishes,

Dave

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@Clutch, I can see you're already using a Hub One. Whilst it's a shot in the dark, I've upgraded the device to the latest software version on the off-chance it fixes your issue. Your router will have briefly rebooted so apologies if you were in the middle of anything.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Clutch

Hi thanks for the help but no changes in performance issues. I will reluctantly go to sonos and buy a Sonos Boost which I can try for free for 100 days and see if it works.