cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wi ffi constantly dropping

gordo1952
Grafter

Wi ffi constantly dropping

The signal keeps constantly dropping, it has grown increasingly worse over the last week.  Had to turn the router off and back on again 8 times yesterday .  So far 4 today.   Cannot find a problem with any of our laptops.  Changed channels 3 times each  on 1 , 6 and 11   same problem persists.

I have always had to restart at some point or other since starting with plusnet.   Have had problems with Avast AV.in the past,  but that hasn't been used for 12 months so it is not that   I have inssider home edition. and checked  around the house all seems fine.    But it still keeps happening regually different devices. 3 laptops on 10 and older one on 8.1  they all have their times when they simply cannot connect.     

To me it is the router failing each time.  as it is hitting all my devices.   it is doing my head in.  I am disabled and cannot keep getting up and down to keep doing this.

18 REPLIES 18
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Re: Wi ffi constantly dropping

Could be your router giving up the ghost or co-channel interference.

Have you installed the free InSSIDer3 programme to see what channels in your locality are busy?

Then choose one that isn't.

gordo1952
Grafter

yep have install inssider  the drops keep happening channels which are recommended  1,6 &11  they weren't no different.  think it is the router myself.  I have it quite close to the BT modem , would that make a difference ?   Mind you I have not not many places to put it.    don't have a master box only a junction box  near top of the wall by  behind front door.   I asked the BT engineer if he could make it easier. but wanst interested . said I would give him £15  as that was all I had in the house.   miserable git

Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

I never had a Master Socket, but the main BT (ex GPO) wiring is in loft where there was a large Bell box; this was related to there being old fashioned plug in phones; if all disconnected, the bell in loft would ring!
I fitted my own BT Master Socket, (you can get on e bay now branded Openreach). I've had Openreach engineers a few times and they've never raised an issue.
I run cable from loft master socket for the router, straight to a dedicated ADSL socket in office.

Unitedboy

I have been having the same problem over the last week. At least twice a day I have had to turn it off then back on. I have fitted a new filter to see if that will help .

gordon1952
Hooked

Had tech chat, the guy says the router needs replacing, just weighing up if another bog standard PN is worth paying £6.99 postage for or going and buying a better one.  Yea I spotted them on ebay and will order one and install.

Whatever I do I will be running it into living room to save any getting up and walking round to the hall to reset.  

cheers

gordon1952
Hooked

I have no filters with fiber,  or that is what BT engineer told me .    never bothered to check that out.   You can try the channel changing as I did .   also download inssider home to check the strength in all rooms ..  

Hope you get it sorted unitedboyRoll_eyes

Unitedboy

Yeah if you have fiber you shouldn't need a filter. It could be my router too as its now 4 years old so if it keeps happening then it looks like I will have to see about getting a new one.strange we are both having the same problem. Hope you get it sorted . 

gordon1952
Hooked

apparently the Sagem one I have 27N4 or something are not that good limited in many things ... Mine has dropped today  7 times already 

Unitedboy

Wow that's a lot. the ones plusnet supply aren't the best. So it might be worth getting a better one. I am thinking of getting a better one myself. 

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

@Unitedboy wrote:

Yeah if you have fiber you shouldn't need a filter.

That's only the case if you have a filtered master socket.

I don't therefore I have to use a filter.

gordo1952
Grafter

was looking at     

P-LINK AC1200 Dual Band Archer C50  39.99 in argooose

Unitedboy

That doesn't sound too bad. Maybe try looking on Amazon as they have reviews so you can find out which are decent. 

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@gordo1952

The C50 is just a router, you will still need a modem. Just a quick heads up.

Edit: Reread the thread again and saw you have a modem . please ignore Smiley

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
gordon1952
Hooked

heck yea noticed myself earlier, I must have picked the wrong one, good job I held off  until after a holiday .lolol  thanks alot ..