Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wi-Fi Spotty - Firmware update?

FIXED
lowryglen
Hooked

Wi-Fi Spotty - Firmware update?

I've had a look around the forum and I'm wondering if a firmware update might be a first step to troubleshoot some Wi-Fi issues.

I know speed tests aren't 100% reliable, but I'm consistently getting around 17 down on ethernet and 4 down on Wi-Fi (sitting beside the router); anecdotally I have occasionally very spotty connections on some Google home devices and my wife's iPhone.

I have a Sagemcom F2704N running 7.275.6 and it seems there's been updated .11 version in circulation for a while, and was wondering how to get it pushed on to the device?

Also happy for other suggestions.

11 REPLIES 11
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Re: Wi-Fi Spotty - Firmware update?

Deleted, posted in wrong place

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Beyhive
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 44

Hi @lowryglen

Thank you for getting in touch. I've passed this on to our product team and have asked them to push out the latest firmware update to your router.

I would also try and change the wireless channels within the router if you haven't already done so to improve your wireless connection.

Step 1 - If your wireless signal has been completely lost please plug your Ethernet cable in to the back of your router and then in to your computer (The Ethernet cable we supplied is the cable with the yellow ends/connectors)

Step 2 - Load up your internet browser (Either Internet Explorer, Firefox, Google Chrome or Safari)

Step 3 - In the address bar at the top of the page (Where it says "http://www" OR "dsldevice.lan") delete all text from that bar, as we need this completely clear.

Step 4 - Type in "192.168.1.254" and press Enter on your keyboard. (Please ignore the speech marks")

Step 5 - This should bring up a home screen information page. As soon as you have this page you will need click on basic settings, please bear in mind this will generate a page where an admin password is requested. This can be located on the small plastic card received with the router or on the back of the router itself. You are looking for the “router password.”

Step 6 - You should now see a second line of tabs which you can select the wi-fi menu.

Step 7 - Near the centre of the page You should see the ''Channel'' option set to Auto

Step 8 - On the "Channel" option, set this to channel 13 then ensure to click "Apply"

Step 9 - Follow the above steps again if channel 13 does not fix the issue. I advise working your way from channel 13 through to channel 1. In a lot of cases this will be a trial and error approach, just keep trying until you find a channel that works best in your home.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Faris
 Plusnet Help Team
lowryglen
Hooked

Thanks @Beyhive, I'll try channel 13 and go from there.  It's currently on 11 iirc.

lowryglen
Hooked

It's been almost 2 months and the router's still on 7.275.6; any ideas?

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @lowryglen 

For some reason the request that was raised has not been replied to, so I am unable to see if it has been performed or not. I've asked for this to be updated and for a reply to be given. 

Please bear with us whilst we await a reply. 

Kind Regards, 

MoR

lowryglen
Hooked

Hi, it's been 4 months and still on the old firmware. Any ideas? WiFi still not great, regardless of channel used.
Optimatts
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 19

Hiya @lowryglen, I'm really sorry that this hasn't been followed up with you.

I've sent a further chaser to our products team to get this updated for you.

In addition, I can see you've been given the wireless channel change guide, but it might be worth looking at some of our other wireless troubleshooting steps HERE.

lowryglen
Hooked

It's been over 6 months since I originally posted, I assume the products team does not want to update my router firmware?

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Fix

Hi @lowryglen,

I've had a look into this and can see that our products team upgraded you to the latest firmware version (v.7.275.12) on the 2nd of September as per the ticket here. Please can you confirm which firmware version it's showing you on on your side?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
lowryglen
Hooked

I restarted and refreshed everything and my software version is showing as 7.275.12_F2704N_Plusnet so I'll see how this goes, thanks!

Mads
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 79

Great @lowryglen,

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Thanks.