cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does the log in for router warn of not secure?

baffled000

Why does the log in for router warn of not secure?

I dont want to put my password in with this warning.........I wanted to change my password BUT warned I should not. I tried https no luck. I want to change my router now as security seems to take a back burner with plusnet any suggestions, ? by the way it took me 9 attempts to try and register here I had to prove I wasn't a robot,  9 times,    this group is more secure than my router.

9 REPLIES 9
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Re: Why does the log in for router warn of not secure?

@baffled000 Welcome to the forums. What warned you the router was 'not secure'? No doubt your 'security suite' - which one?

I think you will find most modem/routers use http - on those designed for home/small office environments anyway, and after using them for 15+ years, I think you are OK - I've never been hacked through my router - or anything else come to that.

Why did you want to change your password, anyway?

John
agedgopher
All Star
Fixes: 15

@baffled000 

I have experienced the warning message in the past but only when typing in the 192.168.1.254 address into the search bar on the home page./ If you enter it into the bar at the top of the homepage then the message does not appear.

I am not aware of any insecure activity problems with either my Hub1 or mu BT HH6 routers

jab1
Legend

@agedgopher - that's because there are none, in any modem/router. 😀

John
baffled000

Im changing to BT homehub6   managed to get a new one from ebay.    Its time to get rid of the one from plusnet,  Im still adsl, My security is Zone Alarm, Ive been with them for over 10 years.    Now is it simple to set up ? I have had people on here which use this router and seem positive  should I move this question to another thread?

jab1
Legend

You are buying a better performing piece of equipment, but you will possibly still get the ZA warning, as the log-in operation is exactly the same as that for the Plusnet router.

Set-up and configuration instructions are pinned at the top of the 'My Router' board.

John
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@baffled000 You are needlessly worrying about security of the router. When you access it with a web browser you are seeing  web pages stored in the router on your local network, it isn't going to any remote site on the internet. Zone Alarm is just flagging up the fact that it isn't using a HTTPS: secure connection but it really doesn't matter.

Auric
Grafter

@baffled000 I too get the security warning from my security app; and I don't use ZA. It is annoying as it takes quite e few clicks to persuade the app that one really wants "continue" to log in. I resolved it by logging in and then saving it as a favourite. You will notice that the Router will change the URL in the browser bar from 192.168.1.xxx to that of its log in page.

Xanadu_2
Dabbler
Fixes: 2

@jab1 wrote:
...that's because there are none, in any modem/router. 😀

Not quite true, because my own Cisco Linksys router had a known 'back-door' vulnerability which was fixed with a firmware update.

🙂

jab1
Legend

@Xanadu_2 OK, amend my comment to 'very, very few' - and how many exploits of that vulnerability were there in the wild?

John