cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Whirring / buzzing noise from router (5GHz)

JakeP

Whirring / buzzing noise from router (5GHz)

Hi - I'm trying out a VR toy and using my new 5GHz router to connect to a virtual desktop. Day one was smooth and brilliant. Day three is choppy, and each stutter coincides with a hissing / buzzing noise from my router. Has the stress managed to melt something in the new router?

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

Re: Whirring / buzzing noise from router (5GHz)

@JakeP  This is a well known "feature" of the rubbish Hub One modem router, Plusnet say the noise level is "within limits" whatever they might be. If you persuade them to replace it the new one could be the same, better or worse it's pot luck. It's a good idea to get another modem/router, the BT HH6 has a good reputation and works with Plusnet.

JakeP

@RealAleMadrid Thanks for the info - slightly irritating. Are there any recommend off the shelf routers that'll work with Plusnet, rather than me ebaying second hand tech of dubious origins?

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@JakeP  I don't think I can help you much as I use a separate modem and router so I am not up to date with the latest single box solutions, I am quite happy to go for used stuff, that is known to be reliable and stable (and save a lot of money).

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@JakeP wrote:

Thanks for the info - slightly irritating. Are there any recommend off the shelf routers that'll work with Plusnet, rather than me ebaying second hand tech of dubious origins?

Only Plusnet supplied hubs work ‘off the shelf’, that is without needing to input some settings.

You can buy many Smarthubs, which are unlikely to have dubious origins (whatever that means), for the price of a new combined modem/router with better performance.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'