Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weird wireless issue

santi
Rising Star

Weird wireless issue

Hello,

I've got a weird wireless issue with the hub one. Just some background on my setup: hub one at the front bedroom on the upper level and then a powerline hot-spot on the ground floor.

For some weird reason when I move upstairs and connect back to the hub one WiFi it has horrendous speeds and ping. Not even reaching 1meg, its so bad to the point where I can connect to the weak downstairs WiFi ssid and it gives me better speeds of 20 meg.

Just to note a restart of the router does seem to solve the issue. Also earlier today I tried to reset wireless settings on the hub, and that fixed the issue.

I was looking to invest a new router around the 100 quid mark if anyone could recommend me anything? But in the mean time any fix to this issue?
9 REPLIES 9
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: Weird wireless issue

Try separating the 2.4 and 5GHz bands then try each in turn. See here:

https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Making-5-GHz-have-separate-SSID-with-the-Hub-One/m-p/1349587...

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

santi
Rising Star

Yeah I know I could do that, but it seems a real pain when I have guests and they ask which to connect to etc. Think I'll just invest in a new router that handles it much better tbh, any suggestions?
Baldrick1

Why is it a pain? Both frequencies use the same password. If you get another dual band router you will have the same issue, the only difference being that it comes with the bands already separated.

For the record I recommend the BT Smarthub 6 bought for about £30 from Ebay but again I have separated the bands.

Moderator and Customer

santi
Rising Star

But this begs the question again, why does my wireless performance drop vastly when I am literally in the room next to the router. Separating the bands has that much of a difference? It is not that the signal is weak, the signal is strong. Just the speeds & pings are horrendous.

Yeah, I thought about the BT hub 6, but as the router is on the top floor I was looking at something with adjustable antennas, to try direct some of the signal facing downstairs.

Thanks for the help though, I'll split the bands for now and monitor performance.

Baldrick1

I think that the problem with synced bands is that some devices get confused and oscillate between the two bands, hence you end up with a slow connection despite having a strong wireless signal.

Moderator and Customer

santi
Rising Star

Split the channels as you suggested, narrowed it down to the 5ghz channel causing the slow speeds on my mobile. Is the 5ghz band that weak? I'm literally one wall away from the router and it still caps at 2meg max. 2.4ghz is fine at around 30 Meg out of my full 50
Baldrick1

It all depends on the construction of your walls. If they're thick, made of reinforced concrete or are insulated with aluminium faced insulation board then it can be a killer. The general rule is that 5GHz is the fastest but does not cope well with distance or obstructions. 2.4 GHz is slower and the band is more congested with all manner of transmissions but is more reslient to poor environmental conditions. The trick is to use whichever is best.

Having found that the 2.4GHz channel is best I would use a free wifi sniffer app (I use Wifi Analyser on an Android phone) to see if neighbours are using the same channel. If so go into the router advanced wifi settings and manually set yours to the least congested.  Check both at the router position and where you use your devices.

If you want better wireless then I recommend a BT Smarthub 6 from Ebay.

Moderator and Customer

BillyCool
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

@santi - what @Baldrick1 said.

Do you also have cordless home phones or anything else like that near the router? Some can cause interference but that's usually on 2.4ghz to be fair.

What is your house built out of?

It sounds a little odd for your 5ghz to be so bad so close to the router (apart from the possibility that you have lead lined walls). I had issues with an older router and solved it by changing to the BT HH6. 

My other half found her phone really struggled and I had to effectively delete the stored router and ask it to find the router again and re-connect. That seemed to help. We had a wifi extender and the phone seemed to struggle to know which to connect to and got confused. A fresh re-connect helped. 

The HH6 (I've got the business version) is about £100 from the shops but £30 from eBay - brand new. It has multpiple ariels and works so much better for me. I'd seriously recommend it.

Would be good to know if you can improve the situation with what you have first just to know if it is something else. 

santi
Rising Star

Just for anyone wondering, the bt smart hub 6 fixed all issues. 5ghz signal is now perfect. WiFi coverage has vastly improved aswell.

Worthwhile investment. I picked mine up from ebay used for around 16 quid.