cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weird TCP/IP problem - Plusnet Hub One

modellista

Weird TCP/IP problem - Plusnet Hub One

Hi, I wonder if anyone can shed any light on this new frustrating issue with my home broadband.

It's been working fine for about 9 months, but over the last week I have been having problems with most devices connected to the hub.  Things connect to WiFi fine, but no data comes thorough.  I have multiple devices - PC, macs, iPhones, iPads, and an Amazon stick.

After ages fiddling around with the PC, I managed to solve the problem by manually assigning an IP address and masks.  On an older Mac a "Renew Lease" command worked.  But when I do an Ookla Speedtest the download speed is perfect but it won't give a result for upload speed at all.  Weird.  The iPhones won't work even if I do a "Renew Lease".  They connect to the Wifi fine, but either they don't get data at all, or it stops after a couple of minutes.

Needless to say I don't want to have to manually assign an IP to every device that connects to the network.  I've done a manual full reset on the router but the problem still persists.

Anyone have any suggestions?  Many thanks.

7 REPLIES 7
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: Weird TCP/IP problem - Plusnet Hub One

Welcome to the forum.

Have you got or can you borrow a different router?

A large range will work on the Plusnet infrastructure so you don't specifically need a Plusnet branded one. Any Plusnet, BT or non ISP VDSL device from companies such ad TP link, Netgear etc. can be used 

if you can get your hands on one and need advice on how to set it up then you only need to ask on this forum and help will be forthcoming.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

HI @modellista,

Thanks for getting in touch. I'm sorry to hear that you've been experiencing this issue - it does sound like a bit of an unusual one.

Your Hub One's still within its warranty period so I've sent you a new one to try, it should arrive in 3-5 working days. Please let us know if you continue to experience any problems once you've connected up the new router.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
markhawkin
Pro
Fixes: 11

@modellista

My guess is that the replacement Hub One won't fix it but it is worth confirming that by swapping the device.

If you have reset the Hub One (find instructions for that) then unless it is an obscure hardware fault a different one won't help.

Assuming that you have fibre to the cabinet then a fault in the Openreach box in the street is my best bet.

I am the satisfied customer....
modellista

First of all, thanks for the replies, particularly the offer of a new router. Hopefully that will solve the problem.

After checking things some more, it seems that, when using auto IP settings, the router IP that all devices try and use is 192.168.1.73, when the router actually is 192.168.1.254. When I manually set the router IP, everything works fine.

Bit strange why that happens and why it has just started happening. At least I know the workaround but hopefully the new router will make it work on auto.
markhawkin
Pro

@modellista

That's something to work with.

I wonder if the device at 192.168.1.73 is "taking over". Likely candidates would be some form of network attached storage device or similar.

What is attached by cable to your router?

Turn everything off. Reset the router and connect devices one by one. Start with "likely to be harmless" devices. (tablets Phone etc.) then computers and finally other devices.

With luck the suspect device will become apparent when connected.

markhawkin
Pro

@modellista

If you have a suitable tablet or phone, "Fing" is a very handy app to match IP addresses to devices.

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

+1 for Fing.
I use it regularly to find the IP address that my WiFi printer has connected to.