cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WLAN access control

toodeep1
Dabbler

WLAN access control

How can I control WLAN access per MAC address on my Plusnet-provided Technicolor TG582n? Unless Allow New Devices is set to 'New stations are allowed (automatically)' then my devices cannot access the WLAN even though the devices are known to the router and their Allowed on WLAN settings are enabled (in fact these settings can't be disabled). There are several old threads on this issue going back years but its now 2016.

19 REPLIES 19
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

Re: WLAN access control

fwiw, I think the last firmware update 10.2.5.2 for the Technicolor TG582n came out over 2 years ago and it is unlikely there will be any further updates.

Being realistic, I think you need to consider getting a newer router (with MAC filtering) to resolve the issue.

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
toodeep1
Dabbler

Thanks for responding. I'm whining because the router remains Plusnet's current offering (and according to other threads Plusnet have been investigating this non-functioning capability & insecurity since 2012) while I'd like to be without the  several WLAN leeches that I suffer from (and coincidently Plusnet propose to now significantly increase my subscription after 14 years a customer). In the meantime, are CLI scripts the officially supported solution?

bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

TBH, I'd be surprised if CLI scripts for any of their routers are officially supported by Plusnet unless you find it in their router help pages.

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
toodeep1
Dabbler

Alas the Plusnet router reference material simply says to use the (non-functioning) GUI to toggle the (non-functioning) ACL. Hence the sundry threads, of course.

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Why not change the wireless password and not give it to the devices you don't want to access the wireless? MAC address based access control does not add a significant amount of extra security.

toodeep1
Dabbler

The devices leeching off my wifi (and maybe many others' Plusnet TG582n) were never authorised in the first place and instead bypassed the WPA security. Changing the password again likely will only delay their return. Of course MAC addresses can be spoofed as well, but since I already use the address this will complicate intruder access. Finally the router is supplied with such filtering, it's just that it doesn't work and clearly Plusnet doesn't value its customers' network privacy enough to do anything about this in serval years of user complaints.

toodeep1
Dabbler

FWIW my router software release is 8.4.4.J. Does Plusnet have a more modern firmware?

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

yes http://products.plus-payh.co.uk/firmware/

if it doesn't have a usb port

ejs
Aspiring Hero

@toodeep1 wrote:

The devices leeching off my wifi (and maybe many others' Plusnet TG582n) were never authorised in the first place and instead bypassed the WPA security. Changing the password again likely will only delay their return.

I still recommend disabling WPS (if it isn't already disabled), setting the encryption to WPA2 / AES only, and changing the wireless password, using a long complex password. You should also change the admin password for the router.

The 10.2.5.2 FTTC firmware works fine on a 582n supplied for ADSL use without a USB port, it can be easily re-configured for use on ADSL.

toodeep1
Dabbler

Thanks all. My TG582n lacks a USB port and TG_UPGRADE is now unzipped to my Mac and thereafter to a borrowed less familiar Windows 10 box. Which executable needs launching?

toodeep1
Dabbler

Yes, I'm a Windows neophyte. Do I need to run something from a disc image, etc.?

ejs
Aspiring Hero

You probably want to try the Windows 7 Upgrade Tool if you can find it, I'm not sure if it will work on Windows 10, but you need to run setup.exe.

toodeep1
Dabbler

Yup, launching the TG582n setup application generates 'This CD is not designed to run on your operating system'. Will the 585 upgrade utility work instead (with the 582 firmware)?

ejs
Aspiring Hero

It's the same Windows software, it works with either model of router.